Accommodation

Travel and Toronto

Lucy D., Bachelor of Business/Law
University of Toronto, Canada (Semester 2, 2018)

I studied at the University of Toronto in Semester 2, 2018. My 5 months in Canada were unforgettable, and exchange was the absolute best adventure.

Campus Life

The University of Toronto has three campuses. I attended the Mississauga campus, which was about a 45-minute drive from downtown Toronto. I chose to stay on Campus and live in residence, which was a great decision. My residence was called Leacock Lane and I stayed in a townhouse with three other girls. Two of them were Canadian, and the other was an international student, like myself. Campus life was great; there were always lots of activities going on, and plenty of things to do. The university itself had great facilities; including a free gym, bike hire, and a nature trail walk (with great deer sightings).

In terms of study, I found the work load extremely easy compared to QUT. I found classes extremely manageable, and I was able to explore and travel in the meantime!

Travel and Toronto

Toronto is huge multicultural city with so much to offer. I made the most of being close to downtown, and tried to do something new every week. I visited Toronto Island, the Toronto Film Festival, Nuit Blanche (a midnight citywide arts festival), a baseball game, hockey games, and Christmas markets. I also went further afield to explore Niagara Falls, Montreal, and Ottawa.

If you’re going on exchange to Canada, you can’t miss out on seeing the Canadian Rockies. I did a 2-week Topdeck before exchange and got to explore Banff, Whistler, Jasper and Vancouver. I would definitely recommend planning some travel before or after your exchange.

Canadian Life

Everyone always says that Canadians are the nicest people…this is definitely true! If you need help, or you are lost, people are more than happy to help you out. Unfortunately, Canadian coffee is nothing like Australian coffee, so expect to drink a lot of bad coffee. On the plus side, Tim Hortons will become a staple in your diet.

My Top Tips

• Take every opportunity to explore the country in which you study – last minute trips will become some of your best memories.
  • Be sure to try a beaver tail and poutine.
  • Stay in residence if you can. It’s such a great experience that I couldn’t recommend more.
  • If you have electives use them to take a subject that you would never normally do as part of your degree…I took an Italian Food and Culture subject and loved it. (Part of the course was to do a walking pizza tour of Toronto..).
  • Remember that prices do not include tax and you have to tip. It’s an adjustment at first but after a while you will get used to it.
  • Wait and buy winter jackets and boots in Canada, they are inexpensive and often better quality than those in Australia.
  • Above all, make the most of your time overseas and have fun. Before you know it, you will be back home and missing it like crazy!