IT IS OK NOT TO BE READY FOR UNI!

We all know what the final year of school does – we are absolutely over assignments, and so was I! I took a gap year because I was not ready to live out of the home with no real experience. The school was a big struggle for me when I came to Australia in the middle of grade 11 and was trying to figure out the new school system and, of course, the Australian accent.

My coffee-making skills went up during the gap year

I took a gap year and decided to gain as much “non-academic” experience as I could. I completed a barrister/bartender course and worked days and nights in the only silver class restaurant in the middle of nowhere – Mount Isa. By the end of that year, I was reading every book I could get my hands on and I realised I missed the boring study environment! Now, of course, I find the studying environment inspiring and with the lingering scent of hot food (have you ever been to a uni library?).

I am absolutely glad that I took a gap year. I gained so much experience in the service industry, I had a chance to be with my family and I had a chance to miss studying! Now that I am back to studying, I enjoy every assignment and all the recommended readings with enthusiasm.

I’ve had my ups and downs during my gap year, but that year really matters to me now. I have something behind me, something that supports me in a new city without my family nearby – a real life experience…and a motivator not to be behind a bar making coffee all my life :p

Jeyar Montemayor

Awesome stuff Ana!

Love the message that you’re sending out there.
    Definitely agree that time off can really help to recover from burn out and that it can
    help to build up that motivation we all need to hit the ground running when we start or even
    restart uni.

Keep up the good work!

• Avatar
      Anastasiia Kuleshova

Thanks so much for your kind words, I’m glad you liked it!