’tis the season to be napping…

What’s that sound? Oh yeah, it’s the sound of NO MORE ASSIGNMENTS BECAUSE THE SEMESTER IS OVER AND OH MY GOSH WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL OF THIS FREE TIME?!

Excuse my outburst. I’m just really excited to sleep again.

until next year, Kelvin Grove...

until next year, Kelvin Grove…

The beauty of the summer break is that it’s not just a two or three week reprieve from the (occasional) doom and gloom of study. It’s two or three MONTHS. I’m pretty sure this is what Lizzie McGuire meant when she sang “this is what dreams are made of”.

Everyone has their favourite holiday activities. When I was in high school, I loved meeting up with my school friends at South Bank cinemas or just hanging out at my friends’ houses. Occasionally we’d go out to eat, but most of the time we’d just lounge around and complain about the holidays going by way too quickly.

maddie2011

This is high school Maddie, circa 2011. The fashion choices, the acne… Learn from her mistakes, okay?

You have full permission to laugh at 2011 Maddie. Go ahead.

You might be wondering, ‘what’s changed since you’ve gone to uni, Maddie?’

Well, absolutely nothing, except I now have a Netflix account and way less money… and I can’t remember the last time I wore clothes that weren’t pyjamas.

I win at adulthood.

If you’re in high school now, I urge you to please, please make good use of your holidays. You’re probably living at home with your parents, which means that rent is cheap and so is food… you’ll miss that one day, so now is the time to truly take the edge off.

Oh, what’s that? You’re out of ideas? Oh boy.

Lucky for you, I have compiled a list of my favourite holiday activities. If you have any go-to’s, share them in the comments below! Who knows, you might inspire me to leave my bedroom sometime soon…

Maddie’s Super Cool List of Super Cool Holiday Activities

1. Find a beach, any beach, and hang out there. Remember your SPF 5000+ sunscreen, though, because the Queensland sun can be brutal.
  2. Make a playlist of the songs you can’t get enough of right now, and then play it. Constantly. Give all of your future memories a soundtrack to die for.
  3. Take selfies. All. The. Time. Honestly, it’s one of the greatest ways to remember the days that made you laugh until your sides split open, and don’t be afraid to spend twenty minutes looking for the perfect filter. If it makes you happy, own it.
  4. Movie marathons and pyjamas. Yes.
  5. That person you’ve liked for a while now? Ask them out. Right now. Go. Do it. They might politely say no, and you can spend your summer break focusing on how awesome you are and having a lot of fun. Or, they might say yes, and they can spend summer break focusing on how awesome you are and you can both have a lot of fun. It’s a win either way.
  6. Read a book every week. This is your chance to fill your mind with words that won’t affect your grade. If you’re like me, and studying has ruined leisurely reading for you, this is your chance to hit the refresh button and find comfort in words again.
  7. Laser tag. Do it.
  8. Hang out with your family. It’s dorky, I know, but you’ll have to look after them one day when they’re old and fragile and that’ll be much easier to do if you have a good relationship with them now.
  9. Try to go device-free for a day. Find a park and explore or just kick back and relax at home – it’s hard at first, but it’s surprisingly refreshing to go without the constant notifications for 24hrs.
  10. Do whatever makes you happy. This is your holiday. It’s your break. Enjoy it.

ben

you could always do summer semester…

studying for exams whilst friends are at BBQ’s. doing assignments whilst the cricket is on tellie. doing assigned readings on the beach….

but the big bonus, finishing your degree early.

• Avatar
      Maddie

Hi Ben – absolutely! I considered doing summer semester to speed my degree along, but then thought it would be nice just to have a break. Gotta have some time for those BBQ’s – don’t want to miss out on too much! 🙂