So, I was sitting down and thinking the other day, nothing unusual about that (as it’s my preferred form of procrastination!). I realised that being a student is quite a unique way of life. We’re our own class of people, with our own curious habits and experiences. So, for those who are already in the world of study, this is an invitation for reflection and hopefully a few mental giggles. For those strangers to the stresses and excitement of studying, here’s a snapshot of what you’re missing. So, here goes… Enjoy!
You know you’re a student when:
- You wake up at 9.30 in the morning and consider this early
- You catch yourself living the noodle stereotype
- You’re one of ten people in the cinema because you went to a mid-day screening
- You find yourself daydreaming about stationery because sticky notes excite you
- You’re a big reader, but not by choice
- You know that horror will come to anyone who mentions “Exam” and “Saturday” in the one sentence
- You know that comparable horror will come to anyone who says “Exam” and “8 o’clock” at once
- You know that doom must surely befall the person who says “Exam” and “Saturday” and “8 o’clock” in the one sentence
- Running out of clothes to wear is your motivation for doing the washing
- You have to ask someone to hide your TV box sets/ favourite books/ video games/ Facebook password during semester
- You have to put four sugars in your coffee before it’s drinkable
- You convince yourself you’re getting organised, but really your planner is only so interesting because it’s the better alternative to your actual work
- “Group Assignment” invokes a shudder
- You’re the last person on Facebook chat at night
- You have “New Semester Resolutions”
- You appreciate value in the form of freebies: especially coffee, movie tickets or lunch!
- You exchange knowing glances when “Exam Week” is mentioned
- Your coffee is never less than jumbo sized
- The end of exam week justifies the loud music next door that persists until four in the morning
- You’re on the bus during off peak
- The day before the holidays is the perfect excuse for a day off
- You live for cheap Tuesday
- You waste your time reading blogs rather than doing your actual work!
So, those are the ones I could thought of during my most effective procrastination session. Have you lived or seen any others?