Not all questions need answering?

So kids, normally if there is a question, it is at least assumed that there is an answer. But do all questions need answering?. Even if it’s a rhetorical question, often you are obliged to give some kind of an answer. But sometimes there’s no proper answer for some questions. For example:

Q: OH MY GOD, How good is the weather today?
A: umm.. rainy I guess?

I often get annoyed if I had to answer questions like that. Or even when you meet someone in a cinema after a long time and have the following conversation.

LongTimeNoSee Friend: WOW, I haven’t seen you since we graduated from school. It’s been too long. How are you? What are you doing here?
You: I’m good thanks, ummm in a cinema? Nothing much actually. Just thought of doing some market research on the relationship between stupidity and movie goers. Then I bumped into you.

Also there’s instances such as its not a rhetorical question, but you are not expected to give an answer either.

Cash register staff: Good morning sir, how are you today?
Customer: Umm. You see it is bit sad if you are buying No-doze from a pharmacy on a Monday morning because you’ve been up for the last 24 hours trying to finish an assignment and still haven’t finished it. But still trying not to fall a sleep and finish the assignment on time. So to answer your question, not that great actually.

On the other hand, there are questions asked just for the purpose of humor or just plain intended stupidity.

1. Can you superglue two non-stick pans together?
2. How do we know if a word is misspelled in a dictionary?
3. Why do we wash bath towels? Aren’t we clean when we use them?
4. Why do you use the phrase ‘slept like a baby’, when babies wake up every 2 hours?
5. Which is the other side of the street?
6. What shape is the sky?
7. Why is it that people duck in the rain, do they really think rain won’t hit them?
8. Is a fly without wings, a walk?
9. If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?
10. Why do we play in recitals and recite in plays?
11. If dry ice is melted can it be dry water?
12. If product says ‘Do not use if seal is broken’, how are you supposed to open it and use it?
13. Why do you need an appointment to see a psychic?
14. If you decide that you are indecisive, which one are you?
15. Why do they call him a skipper if they just stand there?

So moral behind this post is, just because there is a question mark at the end of a sentence, it doesn’t mean it is a question or it need answering. Do you have a question that need not answering? 😛

fazel

lol and then there was the one that questioned people’s questions 😛

Alice

Ahahaha. You remind me of Daria when you go to the movies and bump into strangers.

• Avatar
      Hasitha

I have to admit that I wasn’t aware of Daria before you mentioned and I had to youtube it. lol. now that I’ve heard some of her quotes, I can see why I reminded you of her! hahaha