A Lesson in Procrastination

Three years into a design degree and I can count the number of exams I have done on one hand.  In fact, the last exam I remember studying for was in my very first semester.  Alas, I couldn’t continue this way forever and my Architectural Technology exam is on Thursday (one of two for this subject).  As I began to review my lecture notes, it suddenly occurred to me that I had forgotten how to study for an exam.  So I did what any other normal person would do.  I asked my 14-year-old brother.

I was overly confident when I asked him to test me, and then felt really stupid when I realised that by simply re-reading lecture slides for hours on end, I was actually getting nowhere.  I was so concerned with what snacks I had or what music was playing, that trying to remember the content just wasn’t happening.  It’s so foreign to me, in architecture the assessment is usually a project which you work on for 12 weeks and that’s it… not this exam business.

My brother was disgusted, “you go to university for three years, and you can’t name the six factors of thermal comfort?” So I asked him what he does to ace his exams, and he replied that it was quite a simple formula really:

Look. Say. Cover. Write. Check.

I’m sure most people would recognise this as the way you learn how to spell in Primary school.  Well I’ve gone through my entire lecture content in the same way – and I think this time I’m actually getting somewhere.  I do not envy all those Year 12 students during exams at the moment; studying for all those completely different subjects at the same time, it seems like such a strange concept now.  I wish you all the best of luck with it.

If you have any exam preparation tips I’d be happy to take them on board.  In the mean time, keep your fingers crossed for me on Thursday.

I’ll need it.

Michael

there is nothing wrong with making an awesome study playlist Claire!!