At the end of August, I was invited to talk about QUT Careers and Employment services from a student’s perspective in front of QUT international partners. Who have also been invited were a QUT recent alumni, a graduate recruitment officer from Suncorp as well as another current QUT student.
The showcase started with a 3 – 5 minute self-introduction from student representatives and the recent alumni. Each of us talked about what we had been involved with during our time at QUT and what Careers and Employment services we had used.
By listening to others’ talk, I found that it is enormously helpful for international students to take good use of QUT Career services.
Click here to access the international student panel talking about QUT Career resources.
After that, Kelly Pfeffer, graduate talent lead from Suncorp talked about her attitude towards international students from a recruiter’s perspective. I found her talk both useful and insightful for both international students at QUT and prospective students considering coming to Australia for further study.
Major takeaways from her talk are:
- Nowadays some banks hire more IT students than business students for developing and innovation purposes
- More sponsorship places are available to IT students compared with business students
- Personality test result is a major factor in shortlisting candidates
- International students stay in the company longer than their Australian peers (maybe due to sponsorship obligation)
- A company sees the investment pays back if a graduate stays with them for at least 3 years