Student life

Volunteer and make new friends!

Hola Amigos!

As a film student, I love to be involved wherever there is a camera! Recently I had the opportunity to be in front of a camera! How? By volunteering to help my friends at QUTIC. Volunteering is a good way to get involved in projects that are related to your course, make new friends and be of assistance.

I did an English course at QUTIC, so I still hear about the activities they are running and they invited me to be part of a film shoot recently. It was an amazing experience because this time I was in front of a camera and not backstage!

The ‘talent’  (lol)  for this shoot was international students from many countries. This was a great opportunity to meet more students. You never know if these new students might become friends because once you share moments and experiences you are opening part of your life to others, and that makes a genuine connection.

One student I met was from Fiji. He likewise has studied at QUTIC and is now going to do a double degree in Engineering and Business.  The photoshoot was a lot of fun. We had the opportunity to talk about our own culture, traditional types of food and we ended talking about movies and TV series that are trendy or we would like to watch. Don’t forget that I am passionate about the film industry!

The photoshoot was a great experience not only because we will be part of QUTIC’s upcoming promotional material, but also because I had the opportunity to make new friends! I am so excited to see the final promotional material!

Where can you volunteer?

cynthia

Cynthia is from Mexico and has a strong belief that it’s never too late to make your dreams come true. In Mexico, she studied International Marketing and had the opportunity to work as a theatre actress. However, she decided to pursue her dream of being a film-maker studying at QUT Creative Industries. Cynthia wants to share her creative personality, Latin perspective and her sense of humour in her stories on this site.