Student life

Tips to survive university life- Work edition

Hello everyone!

Welcome back to my second edition of surviving university life… and yes this blog is especially for those who are trying to find a part-time job or have already found a part-time job while studying in Australia. As I have mentioned in my first blog, I am teaching dance as my part-time job, and since dance is my passion I absolutely love my job even though it’s exhausting. This brings me to my few brief but effective tips.

Find something that you are (hopefully truly) passionate about

Maybe you love to work in a dedicated team in hope of boosting a company’s sale, so a retail job may be something you’re interested in.  Love to whip up food? Try working at places like Hungry Jacks or Burger Urge. Or perhaps you have a talent and you would like to make use of it, such as teaching music, dance, or academic subjects. Just bear in mind that in order to make your work life more bearable, try to find something that you wouldn’t mind doing every week.

Google

Google is your best partner, literally. Try SEEK.com (https://www.seek.com.au/uni-student-jobs/in-All-Brisbane-QLD) or AU.INDEED.COM (https://au.indeed.com/Student-Casual-jobs-in-Brisbane-QLD) to find jobs that are suitable for you. There are a wide variety of jobs that you can look out for, and you can even set your desired location for job availability which is really convenient. If Google doesn’t work, try going to stores physically with a resume ready (ps. heard that there are higher chances of you securing a place in the job, but not guaranteed).

Plan, plan, plan

Again, I am re-emphasizing the point on planning. Make sure you have a detailed weekly timetable and if you find yourself having to keep up with so many assignments, I strongly recommend you to focus on your studies before committing to other responsibilities like a part time job. Make sure that you have sufficient rest during the week before making plans on your job shifts.

PS. In case you didn’t know, your student visa enables you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester, and unlimited hours during semester break. Do remember to prepare a cover letter or resume while applying for jobs both online and in person. Be confident of yourself while being interviewed for a job as this can also boost your chances of securing your spot!D.S

Known to her peers and family as a happy go lucky girl, Nicola loves to spread positive vibes and explore new places of interests during her free time. Coming from Singapore, a tropical island city, Nicola loves to hang out at the beach to take a dip or hit the books. She has a strong passion for dance and hopes to inspire others through this art form. She also hopes to share with fellow students a more comprehensive knowledge on the beauty of the Queensland state, as well as school life here amidst the hustle and bustle of the Brisbane city.