Student life

Tips to survive university life

Hello everyone!

As a student who is currently taking 4 units (per semester) and an extra bridging math unit for my double bachelor program in dance and education, a casual dance teacher who teaches, and a competitive dancer who competes nationally, I live a very busy life. Many of you may be in the same boat as me, juggling both academic and outside commitments and sometimes find yourself struggling to keep up with your workload. In this blog, I will be sharing with you a few tips on how to survive your university life as well as how to manage work and social life.

Attend tutorials regularly

Trust me, this works for me all the time. Attending tutorials reinforces information into my brain and I find it so much easier to understand everything that was taught in class. Class content is made more interesting and engaging in class and you are able to have your questions answered by teachers on the spot. Afterwards, you will be more confident with your assignment and finish with greater clarity and less effort.

Let’s get ready for school!

Crash Course (or Khan Academy, your choice)

This isn’t as silly as you may think. Yes! Self-learning through YouTube! Of course, do this only after you have attended lectures and tutorials, it helps you to have a clearer picture of the topic that you may find difficult. I absolutely love Crash Course and Khan Academy (look them up on YouTube). They are useful in giving you extensive details on various topics and have helped me tremendously in grasping concepts. I am more of a visual learner, so this definitely helped me with my school work and reduce my stress levels ( I no longer have to worry about business terminologies nor mathematical concepts again).

Plan and do not procrastinate

I usually plan my tasks and put them into a schedule in order to stay on track. I will write down everything in a notebook with the main priorities at the top of the page (and a due date that I’ve set for myself) and the less important ones at the bottom. Highlighting those important tasks can be helpful too. For me, I usually try to reduce the time spent on social media or Youtube when I have not finished my assignments, that amount of time can be better used on revising or completing an assignment. I also like to start early, begin my research or assignment once we were given instructions on it.

Tip: Set your own due date for your assignments 1-2 weeks before the official due date, it ensures that you have time to check your work thoroughly and you will not have to worry about not completing it on time.

Planning my daily university timetable
Keeping track of my assignments’ due dates

Treat yourself

Now, this one is tricky. When I say treat myself, I actually mean doing something that I like or having yummy ice cream once I have completed an assignment and I know that I have put an immense amount of effort and concentration into my work. Likewise, when I know that I have failed to meet a target or goal, I will not give myself a good treat because I do not deserve it.

Tip: Try food or bowling trips if you want to let your hair down after completing three assignments. If you prefer a freebie, visit museums or places in nature to relax.

A sweet treat after completing 2 assignments

Talk it out

Yes, this is very applicable to any situation, be it school life, stress from work etc. The staff at QUTIC are very friendly and they are most willing to help you through your college life. As for my QUT university folks, don’t worry, QUT has many student support services catered to suit your every need. Language support, STIMulate (Maths, Science and IT support), everything else you name it, services that you have access to help you with university life.  Feel free to drop by HIQ for more information about the support services you are looking for.

Known to her peers and family as a happy go lucky girl, Nicola loves to spread positive vibes and explore new places of interests during her free time. Coming from Singapore, a tropical island city, Nicola loves to hang out at the beach to take a dip or hit the books. She has a strong passion for dance and hopes to inspire others through this art form. She also hopes to share with fellow students a more comprehensive knowledge on the beauty of the Queensland state, as well as school life here amidst the hustle and bustle of the Brisbane city.