Student life

Spending your time meaningfully in Australia – part 1

Hello everyone! Today I will be sharing with you how I spend my time meaningfully in Australia. I will be splitting this into two sections as I would like you to have a glimpse into my life here in Queensland and have an idea on how to spend your time overseas in a fulfilling manner.

Undertaking a double degree

Doing a double degree in two different courses that I am very passionate about keeps me occupied and fuels my love for learning. Not only am I able to learn a variety of content every day, but I am also able to make new friends from both courses. It is certainly an eye-opening experience for me as I can gain new knowledge and experiences whilst working with both my dance and education peers. Even though this may seem pretty daunting initially, I can assure you that this would be a fulfilling academic journey for you and you will get the best out of this dual degree program in various aspects.

Joining an external organisation

For me, I was introduced to a Chinese Dance organisation where I got to meet like-minded Chinese dancers and share my passion for dance with them. I was grateful to be given opportunities by my teacher to represent their organisation and compete in a prestigious Beijing dance competition. I was also given the opportunities to perform with the organisation and I can say that my moments spent with them was truly memorable. Here are some photos that showcase my experience. If you have a strong passion for any particular activity including sports or arts, I recommend you to join an externally verified organisation to pass your time.

Joining a school club/ society

Coming from Singapore, I’ve joined QUTSSA and did not regret making that choice. From hosting reception dinners to welcome all Singaporeans who were commencing their studies in Brisbane, to organising our National Day celebration, I felt that these events made it so much easier for me to integrate into a new environment. I could still communicate with my fellow Singaporeans in “Singlish” and feel so much at home. There are plenty of clubs and societies you can choose from at Uni, such as sports, special interests, faculties and international associations. Be sure to get involved in these clubs and societies to make the most out of your time here in Australia!

Known to her peers and family as a happy go lucky girl, Nicola loves to spread positive vibes and explore new places of interests during her free time. Coming from Singapore, a tropical island city, Nicola loves to hang out at the beach to take a dip or hit the books. She has a strong passion for dance and hopes to inspire others through this art form. She also hopes to share with fellow students a more comprehensive knowledge on the beauty of the Queensland state, as well as school life here amidst the hustle and bustle of the Brisbane city.

1 Comment