Student exchange

A sneak peak of the first two months of my Vienna exchange semester

Guten Tag everyone! It’s Ha again and I am undertaking an exchange semester at Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business) in Vienna, Austria. It has been two months since I got here and I can’t wait to share with y’all my exciting adventure so far!

Viennese coffee culture and best dessert spots

No visitors to Vienna could ever miss experiencing the cozy, leisurely and elegant of the traditional Viennese coffee houses. When you open the old heavy wooden door, leaving the hustling and bustling life outside, it is as if you are back in time, in which there was no technology such as smartphones and laptops, only people chatting with each other, reading a book or simply enjoying their coffees in the comfy atmosphere with classical piano music. And, much like flat white – the typical coffee drink in Australia, here in Vienna you will be able to find a Wiener Melange at any coffee shops.

Not only popular for its coffee culture, Vienna is definitely an amazing dessert hub for any cake lovers. I myself have tried many “tortes” since I got here, from the famous Sarchetorte, Apfelstrudel to many other delicious types of cake. Here are some of my favourite dessert places in Vienna.

European architecture, music and museums

One of the first reasons why I chose Vienna as my exchange destination was due to the European elegant vibes found in its diverse architecture, an exclusive blend of both royal traditions and spectacular modern art. In addition, Vienna is also famous for being the city of music with a wide range of musical concerts and events happening all year round. So, if you are a fan of architecture, music or even both, and wish to immerse yourself in all these elements of art, Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna State Opera) is definitely a must-go destination for an amiable luxurious night, which may just cost 3 euro* purchased in a budget student’s way!

Another fascinating aspect of Vienna is the number of museums it has throughout the city. From modern art, historic to natural science museums, no matter what type of art you are into, Vienna offers all. I was so fortunate to have visited Albertina Museum – one of the largest and most important galleries in the world that contains over 1 million drawings and artworks!

Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (WU) & Erasmus Buddy Network (EBN)

My experience studying at WU so far has been surprisingly amazing. As one of the best business schools in Europe, WU also has a high reputation for its unique architecture designed by various famous architects.

Different from QUT, WU offers a number of intensive courses with a small size class from 15 to 20 students. Thus, they all involve a number of interactive activities and group presentations, and class attendance is compulsory. But don’t worry about class attendance yet, as courses here are actually much shorter than at QUT. Most of them only take place within 1 or 2 months. I even got an intensive class that ends only in 1 week (although I will have to go to university every day that week!!!).

No exchange experience would be complete without parties. And EBN is definitely one of the best hosts, whose team has done very well in guiding us into the party pathway and getting involved with the Viennese lifestyle (as well as drinking culture of course!). The good news is that they not only party hard but also work out hard! A number of sports activities such as ice-skating, weekly running sessions and dancing classes are offered for all the students who are interested. Even though I have never run before, joining the running session every week motivates me and I feel much better every time finishing the race!

Ice-skating with EBN at Rathausplatz

Oh wait, did I forget to mention alcohol is 100% allowed on campus in Vienna, not to include a fact that Spritzerstand, where basic cocktails and spritzers are offered with cheap prices, is a tradition at WU?

I have been enjoying getting to know the locals, other exchange students and the unique culture here. With traditional coffee houses, delicious homemade cakes, beautiful artsy architecture and various interesting museums, the Viennese charm is never that more amiable and distinctive. I look forward to the journey ahead!

A goal-oriented marketing student from Vietnam who is dedicated to pursuing a career in Marketing and Event Management, and aims to empower international students to raise their own voices through her stories. A storyteller who is passionate about human connections and cultural diversity, thus always busy participating in various social activities. A nature lover whose favourite thing is to walk along the Brisbane river and enjoy the chilling breezes on a sunny day. Through this channel, Ha looks forward to seeing what else is in store and is excited to share her journey studying here in the beautiful sunshine state with students around the world.