Student life

Home away from home grocery shopping

Hello everyone! In a blink of an eye, it has already been 7 weeks since the start of university, and I am finding myself busy with assignments and already missing my home country, Singapore. However, a few weeks back, I discovered two places where I feel at home away from home; somewhere that I feel comfortable and able to buy groceries that are similar to those back in Singapore. Well, doesn’t that sound fabulous? Some of you may be wondering if there are any other areas of Brisbane where you can get your much-needed groceries which may not be available in the large supermarkets. So today, I will be sharing two of those places. Hope you find them useful!

Sunnybank

Most of you may have heard of this suburb in Brisbane, where you can get delicious Asian meals for a relatively reasonable price. However, did you know that there are several supermarkets in Sunnybank that sell a wide variety of fresh produce and non- perishable food at a really cheap price? Some supermarkets include Yuen’s Market (suitable for Asian groceries), Hanaro Mart (suitable for Korean groceries) and Formosa Asian Market (suitable for Asian groceries). What’s even better, if you are a seafood lover, be sure to check out Sunnybank Fish Market. I was overjoyed to find that there are fish markets located in Brisbane as I was used to eating fresh fish from the markets back home.

Tip: After ticking the boxes off your grocery shopping list, treat yourself to a sumptuous meal at any of the restaurants in Sunnybank. I strongly recommend Market Square (just across the road), where you can find restaurants selling local food from countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Korea and Japan, just to name a few.

Inala

Perhaps some of you may not have heard about Inala. Inala is definitely a place for all Vietnamese food lovers, and to those who wish to purchase really cheap Asian groceries (especially vegetables). From fresh lotus roots (not frozen) to herbs and high-quality meat sold in butcheries, there is certainly something that you can pick up while shopping at Inala. Additionally, they have not only one but three fresh seafood markets in Inala! I was spoilt for choices as there was so much good quality seafood to choose from. Be sure to check out Inala Fish Market, Duong Dong Fish Market and Mons Seafood Market. Lastly, I was pleased to find fresh soya bean drinks and they were only 3 for $5? What a bargain! So if you’re looking to find places that sell really good soya bean drinks, remember to head to Inala. Note that they are sold only on Saturdays, but the markets are open every day from 8am to approximately 6pm.

Tip: If you’re planning to go in the morning, be sure to put on a cap or hat as it may get really hot. Bring along your own trolley bag as you may end up filling your bag to the brim with groceries (happens to me all the time). Order a Vietnamese iced coffee, sugar cane juice or bubble tea to quench your thirst!

Known to her peers and family as a happy go lucky girl, Nicola loves to spread positive vibes and explore new places of interests during her free time. Coming from Singapore, a tropical island city, Nicola loves to hang out at the beach to take a dip or hit the books. She has a strong passion for dance and hopes to inspire others through this art form. She also hopes to share with fellow students a more comprehensive knowledge on the beauty of the Queensland state, as well as school life here amidst the hustle and bustle of the Brisbane city.