Becoming a barista during my winter vacation

I have become a coffee-lover during my stay in Australia. In this winter holiday, I decided to become a more ” professional”  coffee fan so I signed up for a barista training course.

If you would like to ask me, what is my experience of learning about coffee in Australia? Well, I will not talk about how awesome is the Lattee art I have learned, instead of that, I
will definitely say I have experienced all the steps for making a cup of coffee and I feel that I have experienced the culture of coffee from a fresh new perspective.

It is common for us to see the barista making coffee for us every day. I also believe that we all have a certain coffee shop that we go for a coffee frequently and the staff there can remember our preferences for our coffee, for example, skim milk instead of full-cream milk, extra-shot or decaf. In my opinion, every cup of coffee they make is different.

Here is my two-day experience at my coffee art school.

During my first day, I learned about the recipes for a variety of coffee that customers order the most frequently.

This coffee includes Espresso, Long Black, Latte, Cappuccino, Macchiato, Flat White, Mocca and hot chocolate

I then got familiar with them by making eight of them in one round and practiced making them in a different order for a few more times.

The next step I learned was to make frothy milk. Thickness is the most important thing when it comes to the quality of the frothy milk. I will tell you a little bit about this and you can learn the rest during your own training.

The typical frothy milk is 1cm thick and is used for making Latte. The one for Cappuccino is a bit thicker and it is 1.5 cm and for Flag White has the least amount of frothy milk of 0.5cm in thickness.I could not even remember how much milk I have used and how many cups I had washed before I could make a beautiful frothy milk in different thickness successfully.

My second day was all about Latte art and it is also the most challenging part of this course. I have learned three different shapes to put on top of a cup of coffee, namely, heart, Rosita, and swan. They are the basics of Latte art and you can learn how to do more complicated shapes afterward. As a beginner, I am pretty happy for myself to master these three at this stage.

I enjoyed my days of learning to make coffee because I do believe that coffee is just like a lifestyle here in Australia, isn’t it?  Imagine the picture of yourself making a cup of warm and tasty coffee in winter. Can you still resist your passion for becoming a barista yourself this winter holiday?