Adjusting to university

Students in Governance – What it takes is what you have

I am Kasun Kalhara, studying Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology, majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Since high school, I was interested in advocating peer students and support them.

Coming to QUT, I was offered many opportunities to contribute towards involving in advocacy, leadership and governance including LDI programmes, University Academic Board, Ambassador Roles, etc.

From my perspective, QUT emphasises the importance of the involvement of international students in governance at institutional, regional, local, state and national levels.

In the light of large numbers of international students on campuses, it is important that the international students are making the most of the given opportunities for intercession strategies in programs, policies, teaching strategies to improve cultural understanding, better intercultural relationships and emerge as future global leaders. As a key approach to producing global citizens, the international community in Australia should be educated and offered a platform to practice leadership at early stages.

QUT, in collaboration with the expertise in the field intended to encourage and support international students to actively engage in decision making at the organisational level. QUT empowers international students to lead the community in the future.

Over the last few weeks, I was fortunate to experience some opportunities to network with the professionals and engage in various leadership discussions. These events included the Golden Key Asia Pacific Conference, Council of International Students Australia events, QUT University Academic Board meeting, etc.

As a peer student, I highly encourage other international students to experience the available opportunities to upgrade their personal profiles and make the most out of uni life in Australia.

I am an aircraft lover who studies Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) at Queensland University of Technology. I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering and minoring in Robotics, Mechanical, Software and Electrical Engineering. I am a motivational speaker and am passionate about public speaking and announcing. I believe altruism is always the first while egoism comes the second. I work at various positions in different local, national and international organisations. One of my two favourite places in the world is the cockpit while other being the podium. I like flying 24/7 for 365 days and travelling all around the world. I am a sky-dreamer and my dream started here in greater Brisbane. According to my perspective, Brisbane is one of the most affluent cities in Australia for living, studying and working. Brisbane city puts a premium on multiculturalism and offers equal opportunities to fabricate everyone’s life-profile. Brissy is a perfect destination for international students to drive their destiny. I am looking forward to welcoming you to wherever I go.

1 Comment

Hi kasun,
    I am a law graduate (LL.B) from sri lanka. I studies university of peradeniya. I need to follow a Master of law (LL.M ) with a full scholership. Can u assist me?