Great Ocean Road Trip

Hi everyone! My name’s Caelan and I’m one of the new international student bloggers here at QUT. This is my first blog post and I’m super excited to share what I’ve been up to lately, apart from handing in my final assignments and studying for exams!

Before the end of the semester and exam season began, my friends and I decided to take a quick trip down to Melbourne, as none of us had been yet and we were all keen to take a break from studying. Our plan was to explore the city and drive the Great Ocean Road, one of the world’s most famous scenic coastal drives.

When we arrived in Melbourne I was shocked at how cold it was! I thought Australia was supposed to be warm! As a Canadian I know I should be able to tolerate the cold but living in tropical Brisbane may have changed me…

We woke up early on our first day in Melbourne, picked up our rental car and hit the road. Our first stop was Bells Beach, a popular surf spot about an hours drive from Melbourne.

Bells Beach

After exploring Bells Beach, we stopped in the small town of Lorne for a quick lunch (and to warm up) before continuing the drive along the coast. They weren’t lying when they said this was one of the most beautiful drives in Australia! The scenery was absolutely breathtaking as the road cut through the cliff face, right above the water.

A Section of the Great Ocean Road

After a few more hours of driving we finally made it to the infamous 12 Apostles just as the sun began to set. Pictures do not do this place justice! The way the sun casts an orange glow as the rock formations rise up from the intensely blue water is unforgettable. I highly recommend visiting this place if you have a chance.

Sunset over the 12 Apostles

We drove back to Melbourne that same night so this section of the Great Ocean Road can easily be completed in a day with lots of time for stopping and exploring for those interested.

We spent the rest of our time in Melbourne seeing some of the best the city had to offer but I will save a whole new blog post for that!

I hope you will continue to follow my adventures while I study at QUT and live in Australia as I have some amazing things planned. Wish me luck on my exams! Till next time 🙂