What is HiQ?

Recently there has been a big change in the library especially in Gardens Point campus. There are more computers and studying places on the third floor and when you walk into the library, you will see some students wearing orange shirt with an IPAD trying to help answer students’ queries.

It wasn’t until the beginning of May that HiQ was officially announced to QUT students. From my understanding, HiQ is an offline and online services place offered to students and it combines the¬†functionality of student centre, IT help services and library services.

More digital screens were introduced to encourage student interaction.

A more centralised place also saves students time to go back and forth from different services places.

I do have thoughts about this new service delivery mode. The following are some pros and cons I could think of:

Pros:

• Combing all services at one place will be more efficient and time-saving for students
  • Better facilities, sofas and chairs
  • Students helping students

Cons:

• Students don’t have a waiting area when waiting for their queries to be answered
  • Students need to be put into a queue by staff member even if it is only a small question

I’m always glad to see changes happen at QUT. Time will let us know how HiQ is going to be in the future. But I’m sure it will be helping students as always!