Solo trip at Newcastle

I planned my first ever solo trip in life to Newcastle to mark the completion of my bachelor at QUT.

Due to my very limited travel funds, I came across Couchsurfing on internet and tried to send some requests to the potential hosts. I got the positive reply from one of the host finally which meant that the accommodation would be free during the trip! So Yeah! However it was a bit daunting for me to just go like that as I have never tried Couchsurfing before. Furthermore, I didn’t know the hosts at all and also I was going there by myself. It sounds like so adventurous for me indeed!

Newcastle is a harbour city with many beautiful beaches at New South Wales. It is located not very far away from Brisbane. The flight from Brisbane to Newcastle only takes around 75 minutes and the one-way flight ticket only costed me for $39 dollars!

My Couchsurfing host is a lovely couple, Cameron and Julie. Cameron is Australian while Julie is from Ireland. They met each other during their backpacking trip at South America and fell in love since then. Their love story is so beautiful.

Besides providing me free accommodation, they also cooked food for me and drove me here and there. I appreciate their kind hospitality very much.

My first home-cooked meal at Cameron and Julie’s house at Newcastle.

During the daytime, I wandered around Newcastle city and the beautiful beaches myself with the assistance of the map.

I went to Newcastle during the summer time in Australia and came across the list of things to do in summer in Newcastle at the mall. If you happen to plan your trip to Newcastle during summer time as well, hope this list gives you some useful travel information 🙂

If you are one of the coffee lovers, Newcastle will be a good place for you to explore because there are many good cafes scattering around the town.

The following photos are one of the best cafés I went at Newcastle, One Penny Black. I enjoyed drinking their coffee and also eating their signature muffin.

Other than the good food, the cafe also has the good ambience.

The nicely presented crepe I tried at ‘Coco Monde’. I miss the tasty crepes so much now.

Other than good cafes, there are many cool shops scattering around the town as well. The following photos are some of the cool shops I enjoyed exploring very much at Newcastle.

The popular doughnuts shop ‘Doughheads’ at Newcastle. It tastes so nice and I am craving for it now!

There are so many creative and hipster stuff in this shop which called ‘Blackbird Corner’ at Darby street.

I feel so comfy and refreshing while staying inside this shop. Probably this is the magic power of botanic.

I adore the design of the shop and also the cool products selling inside the shop.

I didn’t manage to visit this shop in the end. However I know I will like it just from the exterior of the shop.

If you are book lovers, you shouldn’t miss visiting the bookshops at Newcastle. I have so much fun while exploring the bookshops there. I believe you will be as well!

The following photos are some photos I took while wandering around the town.

I was also lucky to catch the free performance by the orchestra in the city.

If you enjoy seeing scenery, Queens Wharf Tower is the place that not to miss. The following two photos are the view taken from the tower.

If you have some time, you also can plan your visit to art gallery and museum at Newcastle. These two places are free for entrance.

Besides, I also went to many beautiful beaches at Newcastle.

There is a beautiful garden in front of the sea.

I spent some good time exploring Newcastle with my hosts as well. They brought me to Newcastle Memorial Walk. I was so amazed by the breathtaking view there.

Julie drove me to Mereweather beach and still treated me dessert. How enjoyable to savour the dessert just right beside the sea.

Julie also brought me to Fernleigh Track to cycle.

We went to the wildlife park too. The following photos are the cute animals I met that day.

After travelling around Newcastle, I headed to Sydney from Newcastle by train to meet a girl friend and travel Sydney together. The travelling time is only around 3 hours and the train fare is pretty affordable. I will share my Sydney trip with you guys in the future 🙂

My solo trip at Newcastle was a wonderful and memorable one. I was so glad to meet Cameron and Julie during the trip and thanks again for their kind hospitality.

Lastly, I would like to share a quote with you guys I came across at one of the shops at Newcastle.

Julie Muir

Linette, Thank you for mentioning us in your article. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us. You were a wonderful guest- so open to the experience. You achieved a lot in a few short days in Newcastle. This was down to your good planning I think. I’m so sorry I didn’t pump up the bike tyres before we started cycling! I hope you continue to couchsurf and pay it forward one day.

Aubrey

Enjoyed reading your blogs! Such a great experience.