Food

Hey, foodies, it is Brisbane Taiwan Festival!

Do you miss your home country?” I am an international student from Taiwan and my answer of this questions is that I love Australia and don’t really miss my country, but I absolutely miss “Taiwanese food“.

minced-pork-on-riceWhy?

Maybe you have heard about “bubble tea”, but do you know it is actually invented in Taiwan? There are various delicious and famous food in Taiwan because “eating” is the most important and enjoyable thing for us. Hence, we unsurprisingly create an amazing “foodie culture”. Moreover, CNN, an American basic cable and satellite television channel, has also written a news about “45 Taiwanese foods we can’t live without”.

fried_riceAlthough Australia is a multicultural country and has numerous delicious food, it is still a little bit hard to discover traditional Taiwanese food here. However, the good news is that there is an annual event named “Brisbane Taiwan Festival” which was held around Moon Festival, a traditional festival for Taiwanese.

img_0090 img_0093You can have a chance to experience lots of Taiwanese food and performances in this event. Also, fireworks and BBQ are other main attractive points of this festival. There is an interesting thing that I can share with everyone here. Taiwan is the only Moon Festival-celebrating country that has BBQ culture on this specific day in the world because there was a super famous TV advertisement launched 30 years ago and encouraged people to have a BBQ with family to share happiness.

p1100605Actually, I still don’t understand why we are easily influenced by just one advertisement and change our traditional habits. Maybe Taiwanese are all TVholics? haha…

img_0094Finally, if you have any question or stories about Taiwan, please feel free to leave your comment below and don’t forget to follow this QUT blog continuously! 🙂