Living in Brisbane

Easter celebrations – it’s eggstravaganza time!

gif

April is my special month – I’m born in April and my favourite floral season, spring, is just around the corner back in my hometown. Australia certainly has a different weather and a different manner of celebrating Easter (the gentler and more laid back kind). For merrymakers like me who’re used to vibrant festivities filled with entertainments and night shopping and all, the upcoming mid-sem break is a good time to experience the freshness of Aussie holidays.

If you are a fellow Aries/Taurus and celebrate April, here’s what you can see and do around Brisbane in this big month!

Enjoy the Bluewater Festival 2014 @ Shorncliffe 

Blue_Water_LOGO_web_2

sandgate

I love going outdoor and so do most Australians I’ve met! The annual yacht race to Gladstone is kicking off on April 18 Good Friday at Lower Moora Park, Shorncliffe, celebrating all things to do with sailing. Here you can admire the beautiful pier and enjoy the air by the bay with live entertainments. It’s a unique thing to see and it’s free, so grab some friends and enjoy a day out there! Check out heaps of attractions at the Bluewater Festival and Sandgate websites.

Visit the Deep Ocean exhibition @ Queensland Museum

qld_museum_deep_ocean

A very unique and amusing exhibition where you get to see a real giant squid specimen, experiment with water pressure and explore the ocean. A sure entertainment for museum goers. The Queensland Museum is conveniently located at the Southbank Cultural Centre precinct. Read some reviews on ABC Brisbane and Must Do Brisbane.

Bake some hot cross buns! 

tumblr_mkbooeiXM61qh4p4io1_500

Because it’s Easter after all. Hot cross buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday to commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus (see the cross on top of each bun). Today people enjoy these buns all year round, which are readily purchasable at supermarkets, but what’s the loss of baking some yourself at home? They are yummy and available in multiple recipes to suit your dietary needs. Rather than having a cake this year I think I’ll go for a chocolate hot cross bun and butter pudding for birthday instead 🙂

Decorate your Easter eggs

Eggs-0-Main

Last weekend I spent a morning decorating Easter eggs with children at church services using balloons but the kids ended up popping all of them (and seemed to be enjoying it), and I figured balloon is certainly a bad idea. What’s the better way you ask? Use paint, sprinkles and tapes on real eggs. Check out some brilliantly colourful ideas on Brit + Co.

And there’s my Easter celebrations suggestions, I’m off to catch some sweet 21 blessings now. Have a nice one! x