What do people with PhDs do? Research shows that only 25% of PhD graduates will end up in academia. So, what do the other 75% of careers actually look like? What can you do now, in the first three years since graduating, to develop your career, in your chosen field?
Post-PhD Career Trajectories: Intentions, Decision-Making and Life Experiences by Lynn McAlpine and Cheryl Amundsen draws on 10 years of research and follows nearly 50 PhD graduates as they explore and embark on employment after graduating. Each career trajectory is unique as individuals planned and made decisions in the face of both expected and unexpected work, personal experiences and responsibilities. This book concludes with resources to help those who are currently planning or reflecting on their own career trajectories.
“Our goal in writing the book is to provide access to the richness of the stories the 48 individuals told us as they navigated their PhDs and post-PhD careers. We hope we have made evident the important role played by intention and resilience in crafting a career. We trust we have also made transparent the role of the PhD in laying the groundwork for the career outcomes that are possible after graduation. Our goal overall was to create a collection of stories that would allow you to draw personal and professional implications and lessons for yourself.”