One night can make a difference

Canberra in winter – sleeping out will put me out of my comfort zone.

Imagine, Courtney was your daughter, sister or family member? Whilst she was not homeless, she was couch-surfing and sleeping rough while struggling with drug and mental health issues. Courtney was killed last Friday in a public place in Melbourne. She needed help, and a safe place might have saved her. 

As a mother, this story moved me: what if that was my daughter?

One of our QUT supporters, Barnie van Wyk, is CEO of the St Vincent de Paul Society in Canberra. Barnie challenged me to take part in the Vinnies CEO Sleepout … in Canberra… in winter!

I accepted this challenge and so, on the night of Thursday 20 June, I will be sleeping out in a Canberra Aiport Hangar. This is something way out of my comfort zone, literally, and not something I have taken on lightly.

Homelessness affects 116,000 Australians each and every night. Sadly, a growing number of homeless people in Australia are young people.

Consider the situation of Laura. Laura experienced homelessness since she was just 10 years old. This video gives a glimpse of what life has been for Laura, who survived 11 years of homelessness. Through Vinnies, she gained security, stability and the chance to set her life in a new direction.

Please join me in supporting this worthy cause.
My goal is to raise $2500 to support Vinnies in their quest to help people like Courtney and Laura in their time of need. I invite you to donate and support Vinnies with this worthy cause.

You can do this from the warmth and comfort of your own home
by donating online here.

One night isn’t a lot, but it can make a whole lot of difference.

Canberra, Lake Burley Griffin in winter.