2019 PSMP Diversity Scholarship Winners

2019 PSMP Scholarship winners

The Public Sector Management Program (PSMP) is designed in collaboration with the governments of Australia to meet the needs of the contemporary public sector. The Australian Public Service Commission has appointed QUT to deliver the Public Sector Management Program nationally. The program continues to make a significant impact on the Commonwealth, State and Local governments with a 25-year track record of success. The PSMP provides aspiring public sector leaders with knowledge and skills to successfully manage the business of government, and position themselves for future leadership opportunities.

Each year, the Queensland Public Service Commission partners with QUT to offer one-for-one scholarships for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander employees to undertake the highly regarded PSMP as part of the government’s commitment to building Queensland’s leaders of tomorrow, today. We are delighted to introduce the recipients of the 2019 Diversity Scholarships…

* * * *

“This opportunity will assist and support my desire to achieve a more senior role as an Aboriginal leader within our Department at Director level or above, in order to influence quality service delivery for children, families, and communities”.

Joanne Borg
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Practice Leader

Regional Practice Team (North)
Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women

* * * *

“Education opens minds and opens doors and I will benefit from this opportunity. What I will do with this good fortune is manage better, lead better and inspire and empower the people around me”

Paula Russell
Acting Manager of Clinical Education
Queensland Ambulance Service

* * * *

“The 2019 PSMP will provide me with the opportunity to gain the necessary skills and confidence I need to further my career and to be a role model for my children, my peers, and others within my community.”

Gagi Shawcross
Project Officer, Indigenous Advisory Group

Department of State Development
Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning

* * * *

“I am so excited having won this Scholarship. This is an opportunity to develop and further my career in the QPS.”

Nicole O’Rourke
Senior Constable

Queensland Police Service

* * * *

“I’m overwhelmed, I feel so privileged to be granted this opportunity, I’ve never received anything like this before.  This will provide me opportunities which I never thought possible.”

Ned Stephen
Supervisor

Queensland Corrective Services

* * * *

“I feel very honoured to be selected for a Queensland Public Service Commission/QUT Diversity Scholarship. This scholarship is a wonderful opportunity for me to directly invest in my professional development. It allows me to strengthen my academic base and build on my capabilities and experience from working for the Queensland Public Service, over the last 11 years.”

Rachel Scalongne
Manager, Compliance 
Strategy & Capability
Operations Support, 
Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

* * * *

“Winning this scholarship means recognition for the dedication I have put towards my career and education thus far.  It means motivation and encouragement towards current projects within my work environment and community organisations I operate within.  Finally, it means opportunities and capacity to lead utilising new skill sets.”

Liahni Truscott
Ranger (Safety) | Department of Environment & Science

Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service
Regional Support Unit | Central Region

* * * *

“The Public Sector Management Program will provide additional knowledge and skills required to fulfill my role in promoting birth registration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This course will bring additional understanding of the framework of the government democratic processes and provide necessary information to enhance and explore vital relationships within the public and private sector customers.”

Victoria Bell | Community Engagement  Officer
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages | Department of Justice and Attorney General

* * * *

“Taking part in the PSM Program will enhance my capabilities and knowledge as an effective Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Public Service leader and will enhance my capability to further contribute to positive outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people”.

Paul Drahm | A/Director
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Unit,

(Community and Oral Health Directorate) | Metro North Hospital and Health Service

* * * *

Not quoted or pictured but awarded a scholarship:
Brendon Hill | Senior Finance Officer
Department of Housing and Public Works

* * * *

If you are interested in studying the PSM Program or applying for the Public Sector Management Scholarship, please do not hesitate to contact psmprogram@qut.edu.au or call 1800 145 041.