University of Copenhagen: Units, Accommodation and Tips!

Elizabeth.K, Bachelor of Law (Honours) and Bachelor of Psychology
University of Copenhagen, Denmark (Semester 1, 2016)

The Units:

I chose to study at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark because it had the best options for law electives.

I studied International Diplomatic Law and DCC Danish Culture. The subjects were all taught in English and the teachers had a great awareness that a lot of us were exchange students, so they were willing to accommodate us really well. For the law unit we met twice a week for 2 hrs and 3 hours for lectorials. Often I’d have an informal group presentation to do for the lessons that the teacher would email to our group a couple days beforehand. There was only one piece of assessment, which for me was a 3-day take-home exam. I think this method worked really well for me, and as long as you’re prepared it’s not difficult to have 100% assignments.

I also did the pre-semester Danish course which I highly recommend, it’s where I met most of my friends and we stayed together for the whole semester -we even went overseas as a group a few times. Learning Danish was really interesting too, but quite difficult because it’s an oddly complex language.

Accommodation:

I stayed in Bikuben Kollegiet on my university’s south campus. There were pros/cons to it but I really loved it. It was really close to my classes, the apartment was gorgeous, and the residents on my floor all did dinner together twice a week so it was easy to socialize with them. One kind-of con was that I was the only international student on my floor, the rest were all Danish.

They were incredibly friendly and open to me and they all spoke fantastic English, but sometimes it was difficult not being able to speak the main language when you’re in a group setting. Also, most of the other international students I knew were at campus a little further away from me. All in all, it was a fantastic way to immerse yourself into the Danish student life.

Finances:

Budgeting for this kind of adventure can be insanely stressful. Accommodation was quite expensive for me, it was around $8,000 for 7 months excluding the deposit. Food prices and etc were not that different compared to Australia, and I easily kept up a under $200/fortnight budget. Takeout is really rare in Copenhagen when you’re a student so it’s a lot of buying and cooking, but there’s really good budget stores like Netto to get food at.

Transport can be a bit pricey because they don’t have student discounts. I’d recommend getting a bike, it’s the cheapest and easiest way to get around!

Most of the people I know didn’t get a Danish bank account because we didn’t feel it was really necessary. I used my ING bank card for the whole trip because it had really good exchange rates.

Tips:

The best tip I have for you is to get yourself out there when you’re on exchange. Say hi to the person sitting next to you because making friends with other students at the university is easy – you’re all basically in the same boat. I even joined an international choir while I was in Copenhagen and met some amazing people (we even traveled to Vienna together). It’s an excellent way to embrace this adventure!