£1 berries and unit issues at Strathclyde

I had issues in my first few weeks trying to figure out classes. I had enrolled into Journalism 2 which I had presumed would get me full credits at home, however when I attended my first class no-one else came in, not even to the tutorial. I went to speak to the head of department and he told me that this class wasn’t running until the following semester. All of a sudden I didn’t have enough classes to get me direct credits and I wasn’t sure what to do. Professor Higgins (HoD) then suggested taking on an Honours Course if I was prepared for the workload, and so I did. In the end I was enrolled into Journalism 1, Journalism and Politics and America in the 1920s. Of these three subjects, not only had I fulfilled my credit point expectations but was also taking two honours courses. Journalism wasn’t a huge Bachelor at Strathclyde, the university is mostly known for its Business and Engineering Degrees. I only had a total of 12 people in my Journalism classes and maybe 9 in my Honours classes. This was a surprise to me, however this allowed me to meet more people and truly build an awesome relationship with my Professor and classmates. The classes were fantastic and I really enjoyed learning about Scottish and British Media and Politics. In fact, because of this class I have become more interested in perusing Political Journalism. I wish I had thanked my Professor for inspiring me in such a way!

I was unaware that there was an on-campus living option for exchange students, so I went about searching for my own flat prior to leaving. I found a flat for £280 a month, which was pretty reasonable I thought! I was 5 miles from the university, but in truth it was only about 20 minutes walk. I shared my flat with a 23-year-old guy named Luke who studied Engineering. Luke ended up becoming my best friend and a person I will genuinely miss! Glasgow was incredibly affordable, not only my rent but also general living! Luke constantly laughed at me when I got excited about £1 berries and vegetables. Furthermore, the affordability of socializing and events was incredible! I have never experienced nightlife like Glasgow! It was phenomenal and affordable! I managed to go to 5 live bands, all of which cost under £20!!! It is easy to see that I took advantage of social opportunities! I had been saving for almost two years and tucking everything away so whilst abroad I made sure I did everything! Any opportunity presented to me I took up, and now I have no regrets! I went on the Ski Trip to Val Thorens in France and it was by far the greatest experience of my life and I cannot thank the SUSC Team enough! Overall, I did spend a lot of money but I have not come home broke and as I said before I do not regret a single thing!