Europe Student exchange Tips for surviving uni Travel

Exchange in Bocconi, Italy : Part 1

I am from Norway, and Bocconi was one of the universities I had considered before I chose to study at QUT. Bocconi is famous for being one of the best universities in Europe and has a strong focus on economics and finance.

It was hard to not speak Italian in Milan, but at Bocconi almost all students spoke English pretty well. Their teaching methods were a little bit different than on QUT. They like to get to the point as fast as possible. I would recommend all students considering going on exchange to Italy to at least learn some basic Italian. I believe that the more Italian you speak, the better your experience will be. There were also very few assignments and you had the option to the final exam two other times if you failed the first time.

There are three different Bocconi buildings and you will likely have classes or exams in at least two of them. All of the buildings are located in the city and are approximately five minutes apart from each other. To be honest I like the Gardens Point campus better because you have everything you need at one place and it feels more like a community then the Bocconi campus. When it comes to the city it is a very old and beautiful city.

They do have a big emphasis on fashion, so you might get some weird looks if you are wearing the “wrong” clothes. Soccer is the main sport and the two big teams are AC Milan and Inter Milan. They both share the same arena, San Siro, located in the western part of Milan. Bocconi is located south in Milan. In the centre you have the famous church Duomo and one of the world’s oldest shopping malls, La Galleria (Vittorio Emanuele II). A little bit north of the centre you have an old castle called Castello Sforzesco.

1 Comment

1. Jahnavi Rawal (or Jahns/Jahn for short haha) Reply

Hey,

I have recently been nominated to go on exchange to Bocconi later this year. I am in the middle of doing up a budget and fortunately stumbled upon your post! I am just wondering what your weekly expenses regarding food and transport were, roughly..? Did you end up cooking at home more or eating out?

Thanks 🙂