Straya Day!

I know its a bit late, but Happy Australia Day!

I actually counted down the hours until it was midnight in Australia. Unfortunately, I was nowhere near a computer at that point.

The last week or so has been interesting. Unfortunately I think a lot of the stuff being covered in my subjects over here is stuff I’ve already learnt. I probably shouldn’t complain to much about that. I am however learning German. It’s interesting being in a room full of people who are speaking a language you barely remember. That being said, I don’t have a lot of pressure to pass the unit, so I’m not too worried.

One of the highlights of my week was getting an Irish lecturer to publicly admit that Australian’s are no longer all a bunch of convicts. You can all thank me later.

The weather is starting to get cooler, and I’m actually having to do work now. The holiday is over :/. Still, I’m learning a lot about the culture here. Despite how similar Australia and the UK are, it’s quite easy to experience a feeling of culture shock. Small differences really make you appreciate home. As an example, no one will say hello to you or smile at you in the streets of London. Public transport is almost a fight to the death to get on at peak hour; you see old women hitting kneecaps with canes.

In a sense, one major thing I miss about Australia is how friendly everyone is. I think over here, they’d sooner stab you than say hi. Still, it’s a lot of fun. A major thing I miss from Australia is Iced Coffee. It is next to IMPOSSIBLE to get it here, and I mean completely and utterly difficult. I’ve not had a decent Iced Coffee since I’ve got here (nor a decent coffee for that matter) and I feel cravings often. If someone loved me, they would send a crate over? 😛

I heard most of South East Queensland is wet right now. I wish you all the best. And as always,

Stay Classy Australia,

Tom

P.S. I know I haven’t posted a lot of photos, so for my next update, I’m gonna try and get a whole bunch of photos of the friends I’ve made, places I see daily, and some other ones I’ve taken since being here.