It’s that time of year again where we celebrate, promote and educate on Open Access.
This year’s theme, It matters how we open knowledge: Building structural equity, aligns with the UNESCO Recommendations on Open Science. It’s a call to action for governments, producers and consumers of knowledge to ensure that there is equity, “…fair and reciprocal sharing of scientific inputs and outputs and equal access to scientific knowledge” (UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science, p. 7), regardless of who the person is, where they are, or where they are from.
For us, it’s a chance to learn how we can play our part to see this become a reality.
Want to learn more and hear from some OA champions?
Open Access Australasia have a chock-a-block festival of thoughtful panels and topical presentations. The events and Brisbane times are listed below and all will be held via Zoom. You can register here.
Monday 25 October
- 11-12pm AEST Growing the Value of Research by Nurturing the Open Knowledge Ecosystem
Tuesday 26 October
- 11-12pm AEST Shaking up the Culture of Research Assessment
Wednesday 27 October
- 11-12pm AEST Open Across the Research Spectrum: what different disciplines can learn from each other
- 1-2pm AEST How to Address Global Challenges with Open Science
Thursday 28 October
- 11-12pm AEST Indigenous Voices: research principles and practice through a First Nations lens
Friday 29 October (Register and listen later – This day is a Public Holiday in Brisbane only)
- 11-12pm AEST Another Kind of Open: exploring the benefits and barriers to the creation and use of open educational resources
- 1-2pm AEST Making Research Truly Accessible: insight unshared is thwarted potential
QUT’s Open Access (OA) bike will be making an appearance Monday-Wednesday from 12-2pm in the Kelvin Grove Library. We’ll have OA badges and other goodies to give away. Come say hi and ask us about open access.
For a bit of light relief (or maybe brain power) try our OA crossword to see how much you know about OA. Post in the comments section if you want the answers 😊 OA Week Crossword 2021