If you have an iphone, ipod touch, ipad (iOS) or an android based device (many other smart phones and tablets) then you can borrow and download 1000s of ebooks right on to it from QUT library.
The advantage? You can read the books even if you are offline and they look real good that way – turn the pages, bookmark, search and highlight like it was your own.
How do you do it? A few simple steps.
1. Download the Bluefire reader app http://www.bluefirereader.com/bluefire-reader.html
2. Register for an Adobe id – very simple, very fast
3. Use the browser on your device (e.g. safari) to navigate to the ebook in our collection: try searching our green QuickFind box
4. Connect to the ebook and download the ebook from the tab or button provided
5. The ebook will be automatically downloaded to the Bluefire reader app where you will find it – downloaded ebooks look just like the ones on the Kindle or iBook apps with similar functionality
However, this only works for ebooks on EBL and Ebscohost (the main platforms used at QUT library) . Ebscohost will prompt you to log in. Many publishers will only allow ebooks to be read online so you’ll have to check.
More detailed instructions on how to do this and a comprehensive guide to using ebooks on a variety of devices including Kindles and Kobo are on our amazing subject guide: QUT Library Ebooks and Reading Online/Downloading to Computers/Smartphones/Tablet Devices/Ebook Readers