Money

Six ways to stretch your budget…

Hey everyone! It’s me again, how have you guys been so far? Well, I know that many of us may be struggling to keep up with our financial budget, considering the fact that many casual jobs have been affected during this difficult time. Today I am going to share some of my favourite places to go to purchase my everyday essentials at an affordable price!

1. Savings just for uni students

You can gain access to many student discounts by using the Unidays app! Be it fashion stores like Adidas, beauty stores like Sephora, and even my favourite low fare ridesharing app- Didi. This app has saved me a lot on my purchases and transport, especially since I am on a student budget!

2. Save on food and groceries

Australia has three big supermarket groups (Woolworths, Coles and Aldi) that sell fresh produce, household items, bread, pastries, snacks and beauty essentials. But did you know that you could also check out their online catalogue issued every Wednesday for special discounts and half-priced items?

3. Save on general household goods

Big W and Kmart are the two main budget (but still of high quality) retail stores in Australia- perfect for us international students. They sell affordable products ranging from home and living to electronics, fashion, sports and party supplies. I have bought myself a pretty decent and long-lasting printer from Big W for less than $40, much to my surprise and delight! Ps. Do not underestimate the activewear range in Kmart, even though the price is a lot cheaper than more popular brands like Lorna Jane, I personally feel that the quality is almost as good and comfortable as the latter. With that being said, I ended up going on a shopping spree at Kmart and managed to purchase so many things under my budget!

4. Save on a bunch of everyday things

Bargain Mania, Stacks Discount,  The Reject Shop and Daiso are similar to Kmart and BigW.  They also sell every day reasonable quality products at low prices. I tend to buy my stationery and birthday cards from these stores since they are often cheaper, for example, The Reject Shop sells really unique and cute cards for $2 and you can get almost anything from Daiso for only $2.80!

5. Save on furniture

If you have a car, you can make a trip down to Ikea where you can find furniture, kitchen appliances, home accessories and many other products sold at affordable prices! I purchased my plates for as low as $0.69 and chopping board for only $2.99. Seriously, this is the place to go to if you need to buy all your household necessities in a day!

6. Save at the DFO Brisbane

The DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) is near Brisbane airport and is the place to find Australian and International brands including Puma, Calvin Klein, Fossil, Guess, etc., and save up to 70% off the original price! Besides fashion, you will also be able to purchase jewellry, homewares, electronics, and confectionery. I absolutely love taking a half-day trip here and relaxing at the food court after shopping!

nicola

Hi everyone! I am Nicola and I'm from Singapore. I decided to come to Australia to study because I wanted to pursue my passion for dance at QUT, as well as to gain new and memorable experiences overseas. After graduating from QUT International College I decided to take my passion for Dance further with a double degree in Dance and Education. While studying at QUT I have become actively involved in the local dance community and attend international dance competitions whenever possible. I am certainly enjoying my time studying here at QUT and thankful for all the opportunities QUT has provided for me. My goals are to inspire others and impart my knowledge to future students who can grow and learn from my experience.