Clubs and societies

I joined a QUT club and made new friends!

Are you concerned about being lonely when you first come to Australia? I felt a little anxious about making friends with other people, but as it turns out, I didn’t need to worry.

The story begins earlier this year in January. I joined the International Men’s Group (IMG) as a mentor and student facilitator. The IMG is one of fifteen groups managed by QUT’s International Student Services team. It provides weekly coffee meetups on Wednesday afternoon and weekend social events during the semester.

Earlier in March, we went on a day tour to  North Stradbroke Island on the weekend. “Straddie” as the locals call it, is just a 30-minute boat ride from the mainland. It was super easy to do in just one day.

As a peer leader, I gained a lot of experience from the trip. I found that listening is hard, but it’s definitely the best way to go.  There were so many destination options to choose from on the island.  We needed to listen to everyone’s ideas first, and then we agreed on our destination by a quick vote.

On the other hand, respect is also a fundamental part of building a friendship. If you want others to listen and be your friend, I’ve found that I need to show respect to them. Hearing about their experience of being a student at QUT was

Apart from the IMG, there is also an IWG (International Women’s Group) that all ladies should check out. In the end, please allow me to send the invitation to you – join us as a member of our big family! Being part of a group is the best way to make friends and not be lonely while you’re studying at QUT.

william

William comes from Guangzhou China, loves travelling, sports and meeting with friends from different cultural backgrounds. He likes a bit of an adventure, experience new things, as well as writing and reading etc. He is a hardworking and motivated person who wants to share his own stories and experience about studying and living in Brisbane.