Things to do in Brisbane

Celebrate Singapore’s National Day on 9 August

Have you seen pictures of the iconic waterfall located in the Singapore airport on Instagram or Facebook? Or have you happened to stumble upon our famous building Marina Bay Sands anywhere on social media? That is right! All these can be found in my home country Singapore. I’m here to warmly invite you to our annual national day celebration on the 9th of August held at King George Square from 4pm to 10pm. QUTSSA (QUT Singapore Student Association) will partner with UQSSS (UQ Singapore Student Society) to organise a fantastic night of celebrations which include live performances, delicious local cuisines ( as a multicultural society, we are often spoilt for choices when it comes to food – Malay, European, Chinese, you name it), and lots of fun and exciting local games for you to try! What’s more, I will be performing once again, so I am looking forward to meeting you there. Below are some pictures from last year’s celebrations.

We will also have a live screening of our official National Day parade and celebrations held back in Singapore. My international friends certainly enjoyed themselves while immersing into our Singaporean culture and had a blast challenging each other during game time. Why not spend your Friday night with a  few friends and experience and immerse yourself into a new culture. It is always great to take the opportunity to make new international friends and expand your social network. Hope to see you there!

Note: There is no entrance fee,  but do remember to bring along some cash so that you can try out some of our sumptuous Singaporean meals.

nicola

Hi everyone! I am Nicola and I'm from Singapore. I decided to come to Australia to study because I wanted to pursue my passion for dance at QUT, as well as to gain new and memorable experiences overseas. After graduating from QUT International College I decided to take my passion for Dance further with a double degree in Dance and Education. While studying at QUT I have become actively involved in the local dance community and attend international dance competitions whenever possible. I am certainly enjoying my time studying here at QUT and thankful for all the opportunities QUT has provided for me. My goals are to inspire others and impart my knowledge to future students who can grow and learn from my experience.