Student life

How to survive winter in Australia on a small budget

Well, folks, you’d probably felt it lately. The chilly, gusty wind sweeping past your face as you find yourself wrapped up in a sweater- or even a windbreaker. That’s right, winter is coming. Some of you may find difficulties dealing with the cold especially when you come from tropical countries like myself. Fret not, here are some tips that may be useful for you when it comes to surviving through winter- and under a budget!

Layers of clothes

You don’t have to get expensive winter jackets to keep you warm! Shops like Uniqlo and those in the Direct Factory Outlets Brisbane offer a huge variety of winter clothes that you can get under your budget! Currently, the Bonds outlet at DFO Brisbane are selling hoodies, trackies, and pullovers for just $25, isn’t that a great deal? Be sure to look out for winter sales and grab your necessities for an awesome price.

Hot beverages and snacks

Winter is the best time for you to stock up on hot beverages and snacks as these will help to keep you warm at home. Besides, it’s about to be the holiday season for University students, so why not have a cup of coffee or hot chocolate while watching Netflix in bed? Ps. An average price of a packet of hot chocolate is about $4 at Woolworths, and it can last you for almost a month (depending on your daily consumption).

Rugs

This will ensure that your floor does not get too chilly. Besides, they can help to trap heat inside your room and create a cozy and comforting vibe. Try Ikea, Carpet Call Floor Centre or Fantastic Furniture for reasonably priced rugs.

Cinemas

Did you know that you can get tickets for only $5.50 at the South Bank cinema on Tuesdays, and $6.50 if you watch any movie over the weekends?  Winter is the perfect time to hit the cinema with your squad and get cosy in your seats while watching the latest blockbuster!

Optional: Electric Blankets

These are useful if you want to keep yourself extra warm at night. They are available in stores like Big W and Kmart and are sold at a good price. Eg. A fitted Electric Blanket for a single bed costs you $22 at Kmart.

nicola

Hi everyone! I am Nicola and I'm from Singapore. I decided to come to Australia to study because I wanted to pursue my passion for dance at QUT, as well as to gain new and memorable experiences overseas. After graduating from QUT International College I decided to take my passion for Dance further with a double degree in Dance and Education. While studying at QUT I have become actively involved in the local dance community and attend international dance competitions whenever possible. I am certainly enjoying my time studying here at QUT and thankful for all the opportunities QUT has provided for me. My goals are to inspire others and impart my knowledge to future students who can grow and learn from my experience.