TVET

Pushing Towards an Outstanding TVET in Uganda

By Robert Bagumisiriza, Uganda

After completing the Australia Awards Africa TVET Trainer Development Short Course delivered by QUT in association with TAFE Queensland, I was promoted to Principal of the Rukungiri Technical Institute of Uganda. Since taking on this new role, I have created significant changes in the institute through various activities. Primarily, I have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Ministry of Energy to conduct training for workers. I have also signed an MOU with the Private Sector Foundation Uganda to conduct training for practicing electricians (on-the-job training without formal qualifications). These initiatives have greatly increased the number of women’s enrolment in technical and vocational education and training (TVET) courses. In addition, I have ensured that all year-two students were provided with industry placements to bridge the gap in skills acquired during training and strengthen institute-industry collaboration. I am now moving towards identifying international collaboration with funding organisations to implement projects in TVET.

1 Comment

1. oghale Osah Reply

Congratulations Robert. I knew you were going to make us proud in Uganda after the Australia Awards training.