Go global with QUT: Part B – Dragon 100 united in China

The time at Hong Kong went by very fast and the next and final stop of our Dragon 100 trip was China.

We visited two completely different cities in China: Qian hai and Xi’an. Qian hai is a very modern city close to Hong Kong and the main industry of this city is its harbour industry. On the other hand, Xi’an, one of the oldest cities in China, has rich and culturally significant history.

Terracotta Army inside the Qin Shi Huang Mausoleum, 3rd century BC

One of the world heritage

Along with the further progression of this program, I had more and more conversation with Dragons from other countries. One of my favourite parts during our stay in China was the night of cultural performance. As you can pretty much tell from the name, cultural performance is all about different delegates from different countries presenting their culture to the rest of the delegates.

Due to the fact that this year there were only three delegates from Australia, we formed a group altogether with UK, Canada and Netherlands delegates. After some discussion, we decided to do a skit about Australians visiting UK and discovering culture differences. Besides the common difference like weather, we also presented to the audience some difference in slangs (e.g. mate, barbie, thongs, stubby, and etc.) and performed the classic ‘Hey Jude’ from Beatles. Though none of us had experience of performing, we were not nervous at all as it’s all about sharing instead of being professional.

What’s next?

13876634_10157199908005433_7347737223208197079_n

After coming back from this trip, I started to think more about how similar all the Dragons are even though we live in all over the world. Also I realised actually I don’t know a lot about Chinese culture even though I’m Chinese. Knowing the history of your motherland is  not only an accumulation of knowledge but also a process of discovering your root!

I hope all the Dragons, no matter where you are, have the best of both world!