Tea & Buns, a monthly community of practice facilitated by ACPNS, was held again on Thursday 30th May.
Attendees were fortunate enough to hear from three special guests; Sandy Blackburn-Wright – Managing Director of Social Outcomes, Dr Lyn Alderman – Principal of The Evaluators’ Collective, and Sara Parrott – Head of Corporate Responsibility at Suncorp Group and Chair of SIMNA Qld.
Topics explored in this meeting included measuring social impact, staffing, and SIMNA with questions discussed including:
- What has led to people talking about outcome and impact measurement?
- How does outcomes and impact measurement benefit an organisation?
- Is there a right or wrong way to measure outcomes?
- Is there a difference between evaluation and measuring outcomes?
- Do staff need training?
- What’s the best way to talk to staff about outcomes and impact measurement? How do we lead change?
- Do we need our Board to understand what is involved?
- What is SIMNA?
Tea & Buns aims to create an opportunity for those working in nonprofit and social innovation to learn from each other, discuss the latest research and how we can apply research to our work. Learning resources shared at May’s meeting included videos on designing a logic model, measuring your social impact: theory of change, and a TEDx talk on principles of social impact.
The webinar is online, free and gives you access to a vibrant network of like-minded people, including researchers at QUT. Register for next month’s meeting here.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the very first Tea & Buns on March 28th 2019!
Our first “Tea and Buns” group chat was exciting, to see what topics people wanted to talk about and share. There were suggestions about how to improve the process of the group:
- Focus on one topic each month
- Have a few people prepared to speak about a few topics
- Have a paper or research sent out ahead of time to discuss
- Have a panel of people to speak for 5 mins then answer questions from the group
I will let you know which format we will plan for at our next meeting in April.
Thanks to everyone who attended! Feedback welcome so email or pick up the phone. More suggested links/resources you’ve found good also welcome – just send in and we can circulate.
Topics and links that arose today and might be useful to you:
Social enterprise and social procurement
- Starting a social enterprise? Read this: https://goo.gl/Gc83Gw
Culture of Philanthropy and Fundraising
- Free workshop in Melbourne in May: https://goo.gl/6Rsa8q
- Volunteers and giving (see fact sheet under Individual Giving report)
- Boards, CEOs and fundraising
- Papers and articles available at: https://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Williamson,_Alexandra.html
- Scaife, Wendy A. (2015) Fundraising and boards: be a leader and a meddler! In NFP Insights: 16 NFP Insiders Share their Wisdom and Experience. Australian Institute of Company Directors, Sydney, N.S.W, Australia. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/87721/
- Mind the Gap! : Fundraisers and their nonprofit organisational leaders do think differently and this difference matters: https://eprints.qut.edu.au/87504/1/87504_ConferenceDraftPaper.pdf
Outcome and Impact Measurement
- Short webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMv11bClMU
- SIMNA (join as a member and attend events): https://simna.com.au/
Dr Ruth Knight
In March 2019 we are launching a new monthly Community of Practice, Tea & Buns with Dr Ruth Knight and guests.
Tea & Buns aims to create an opportunity for those working in nonprofit and social innovation to learn from each other, discuss the latest research and how we might apply research to our work. The webinar is online, free and gives you access to a vibrant network of like-minded people, including researchers at QUT.
Each month we will tackle topical leadership questions. These topics will be guided by the news, and what YOU want to talk about. There is no set agenda, and while we can’t promise to have all the answers, we do promise to provide a safe place to chat where you can tap into the insight, research and experiences of many people in the sector. You’ll also have the opportunity to find out about sector events, news and the big issues facing nonprofits.
Tea & Buns will be held on the last Thursday of each month from 9:00-10:00am AEST so pop the dates in your calendar today or register below to receive the online link! We use Zoom so all you need is to turn up the sound on your computer and grab a cup of tea. A camera and microphone is helpful but not mandatory.
It’s free to attend and you’re welcome to send through your issues and questions any time during the month to Ruth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wherever you are in the world, please take the time to come along – you can come as a once off, or every month. You will become part of a network of great thinkers and doers who are working collaboratively to strengthen the philanthropy, nonprofit and social enterprise sector – and you might just find the answers to some of the questions you’ve been pondering on!
To book in, simply email your preferred dates to email@example.com and we will send you a confirmation and webinar link closer to the time. And don’t forget to include any issues and questions you’d like to see discussed.
- March 28
- April 25
- May 30
- June 27
- July 25
- Aug 29
- Sept 26
- Oct 31
- Nov 28