QTAC time

This blog post is dedicated to high school students (and their families) who are soon to make one of the most important decisions of their lives. Of course, I’m talking about the stressful time that is QTAC application season.

In the past, I thought Year 12 was the be all and end all to my life. It is only three and a half years later in my final year of uni that I reflect on this decision. My mantra at the time was simple in the fact that I needed to work as hard as I can to get the OP I wanted for my course. The other side to that was that I put a lot of pressure on myself and caused a lot of stress in my first round of assessment.

It was not until my teacher informed me about all of the other upgrading pathways that I started to relax a little. My heart and mind was set on the Bachelor of Business/Creative Industries. But I could have entered the Bachelor of Creative Industries with a lower OP and transitioned across without adding extra time.

Of course, I still worked to the best of my ability but I was able to drop from Maths B to Maths A as it was not required for my course. I also dropped down to 5 subjects with the inclusion of a Certificate III in Business traineeship which would have given me an automatic rank of 68.

In the end I received the OP score I needed but if I hadn’t, I still could have achieved my goal. Here is my advice to students:

1. Put down your dream course as your number 1 preference
  2. Do your best in your final pieces of assessment as these still count
  3. Do your best in QCS but know it is not the end of the world
  4. Consider the many upgrading pathways to university

Good luck!