Are you a specialist or a multipotentialist?

Since childhood, I never knew what I was going to do when I grew up. Even at high school, I didn’t know what I was going to do with my life. Now I am at uni, and guess what, I still change my career goals every month. Am I indecisive?…Or…

Ana thinks of many career paths she could have

Am I a multipotentialist? No, this is not a real word, but I think many of us wish it was. The multipotentialist term was created by the writer and artist Emilie Wapnick. I found her Ted Talk (Why some of us don’t have one true calling) after searching for career advice from Ted Talk speakers.

I also found another great Ted Talk (The hidden power of not (always) fitting in) by Marianne Cantwell, where she explores the dilemma of not being a specialist in one area and how to live with it.

If you find it hard knowing your ‘talent’ or ‘true calling’ – I strongly recommend watching the Ted Talks above. And I also strongly recommend to stop worrying about not being a specialist, because most likely some of the people around you feel the same.

Don’t be afraid that you’ll make the wrong decision about your uni course. You can switch degrees if you find yourself in the one that isn’t the right fit for you, and most importantly, there are different activities at uni that will help you find what you like doing most.

In the meantime, there are study events to help you learn more about university. One of the best you can go to is QUT’s Open Day, which is on this Sunday. There will be staff, students and graduates from each faculty ready to share their knowledge and experiences with you, and to help you get a better idea of what you might be interested in studying. Good luck!