Do you have any plans for this summer? How about capturing memories?

Can you look at these photos and tell me what is wrong with them?

Cute Kangaroos near my dorm at the QUT Connect Camp

Just a nice view at the QUT Connect Camp on the Coolum Beach

Out of curiosity, did you find what’s wrong with those photos? Before you go on and read my interpretation to that question, please leave your thoughts in the comments.

Those photos share a few common things: they are landscape, they capture nature, and they might be taken on a phone camera… But if you think inside the box, you might just see that these are ‘photos’, and they have been taken, that is literally it. And this is the problem I am pointing at.

You see, the QUT Connect Camp (btw sign up for it when you are at QUT!) had approximately 100 amazing people; however, I still chose to enjoy the view by sharing it with my phone camera, not them! I can tell you 20+ people were standing on the deck next to me and were taking photos of those cute Kangaroos, instead of being in that moment TOGETHER. Isn’t it crazy?

I quickly realised my phone would take too much of the treasured time at the camp from me if I continued using it. As a result, I did not have a phone in my hand in my last two days at the camp, and I am very grateful for that decision. I might not have as many photos as some people do, but I surely have fantastic memories.

Now I want you to have those memories too! Think of what summer is going to be like if you spend it with your friends and family more often… or imagine hugging your friends instead of taking a selfie together. Be present in the moment, you will truly enjoy it after all.