Übercamp 2016

QUT’s Übercamp took place on 7 – 8 September at Twin Waters Resort on the Sunshine Coast and was attended by twenty-six of QUT’s brightest students and early-career researchers. Participants were guided on how to set and refine their entrepreneurial ideas and present a 90-second “elevator pitch” to a panel of expert judges and potential investors.

Here’s a glimpse of how it unfolded from our guest blogger Michael Trotter:

MikeMike

It all started one Sunday afternoon when I was driving through the Clem7 tunnel after visiting my folks. My life direction had changed, leaving my original reason for starting university obsolete. It had almost completely killed my enthusiasm for studying and I had been grinding through university, one semester at a time.

22144977733_b7b8c3ef9e_b

It was as hard to see a reason for my degree as it was to see the end of the Clem7 tunnel, which was obscured by a bend in the road. As the light at the end of the tunnel appeared, it dawned on me that I could start a program to help young people find meaning in their learning.

Not long after I decided how to undertake this endeavour, I came across a QUTbercamp2016-7841_lr entrepreneurship workshop called Übercamp. I submitted the idea not expecting to get in and nearly fell off my chair when I found out I had been accepted.

The two-day masterclass turned out to be a great kick start for the program. It gave me the chance to meet so many people with great ideas on how to change the world for the better. It was nice to feel like more than just another student number to my university. So many pathways have opened since being involved in Übercamp. The light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter every day.

Übercamp occurs every year in September and is open to QUT postgraduate, HDR students and early career staff members only. It is an exclusive opportunity with a limited number of places available.

QUT plans to run Übercamp again in 2017.