The Mid-Year Slump

As QUT student bloggers, it’s our job to document the highs and lows of university life. I try to keep it positive as much as I can, but I’ve got to admit – I’ve been in a slump lately. I’m in my last semester of my undergraduate degree in Drama… and I’ve only got two subjects to go! Why am I struggling to stay motivated?

Let’s be honest. It all started when I fell sick in June. Just an ear infection, no big deal – but man, did I feel gross.

So, I stayed in bed. I thought that if I took time off to rest and recuperate, I’d be back at it, better than ever. I recovered, and was so excited to jump back into all of my commitments. Then… I caught a cold.

EUGH.

In total, I was sick for about five and a half weeks, which put a serious halt in my momentum. We’re back at uni now, week four, and I’m still trying to put all the pieces together. I think I just feel so far behind that I’m struggling to believe I can catch up completely.

14037421_10210199139157126_660579787_o

…because when you don’t have any motivation, you’ve just got to take a selfie outside O Block at KG… right?

All I can say is, thank goodness for Blackboard. It’s super helpful to have an online learning portal with lecture recordings, and to be able to watch all of my lectures online, so every definition I’ve missed (or accidentally zoned out of), I can check up on them later. I’m also thankful that I’ve been taking my own advice, as seen in my last post (which you can read here) – know your due dates! Sometimes the best motivator is an impending deadline and a commitment to group assessment…

You might be wondering why I chose to blog about this slump of mine. The truth is, uni isn’t amazing 100% of the time. Studying can be hard, stressful, boring, and/or monotonous. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a great experience, too. You learn a lot about yourself.

QUT has a lot to offer, not just in course options but in learning experiences, too. The greatest lesson I’ve learned is that when motivation disappears, you’ve got to go and find it yourself. And the best way to do that?

Start. Writing.

I thought this blog post would be a nice place to start… and I think I might just get started on my next assessment. Is that my momentum returning? Motivation? Is that you?

I sure hope so! 🙂