Work, Work, Work, Work, Work – Balancing Uni and Work, Work, Work, Work, Work, Work!

I’m not sick of that Rhianna and Drake song yet. It’s a problem, but it’s so damn catchy. ‘Work, work, work, work, work.. duh duh duh duh nananan nah nah nah nah nah nah….’ That’s what it sounds like right ? IDK anymore. I am too tired, I have just finished a 28 hour working week whilst juggling second semester prep and student theatre cahoofs and I am burnt out. Sometimes working and doing fulltime uni/ full time student life is hard. But then sometimes it is great because money is great. I really like having money because it means I can buy many chicken McNugget happy meals and shoes and afford to pay for $300 worth of uni textbooks (Law will do it to you). For those of us who will have to wrestle with the weights of uni and study, here is a list of helpful hints to help you reach your bulking/body building goals.

Study vs. Work

1. Have a good support system – Having a study group who can take notes for you when you can’t make it to a lecture, and housemates/family who will bring you cups of Milo at 12AM mid-assignment writing are not to be taken for granted.
  2. Make your boss and tutors aware – Let your boss and tutors know before time if you are going to need to take a few shifts off or if you are going to be pressed to get your tutorial questions completed in time. They will appreciate your honestly and are more likely to welcome flexibility.
  3. Time management – DIARY! CALENDAR! TO-DO LISTS! These are the cornerstones of effective time management. They have changed my life and for the first time in my 3 years of study last semester I was finally able to complete an assignment a whole 24 hrs before it was due. WHAT!
  4. Consider online or part-time study options – Some people can work 38 hrs a week and study full time and are able to withdraw from any social life and are able to plan their day in 30 minute increments. I am not one of those people. Last semester I was able to juggle work and study full time, take care of my body and health and see the people I love on the rare occasion… this semester I came to the decision that I cannot. Due to added work responsibilities and opportunity’s to take my theatre passions further I decided to drop back to 2 subjects. I’d rather have a semi stable balance of things and be able to get good grades in my subjects rather than trying to do too much and doing it poorly.
  5. Have passion for learning (it helps if you enjoy what you study!). If you feel that your learning unlocks the best of your mental gifts and personal growth, putting the effort and commitment into studying will come a LOT easier and uni won’t be something you resent. The long nights, the many coffees, the tears, the days where you are serving people at a cash register dead on your feet, the anxiety you feel when a phone rings… it will all be worth it.

Josh

This is exactly what I needed to read!!

Anon

What student theatre are you with? I was looking to get more involved in theatre too!