In over my head or just highly ambitious?

1We all have those moments of doubt. You sit there and wonder, “Did I overestimate myself?” or “Will I fall to pieces and crumble under pressure?” or “Will it all be worth it in the end”. If you haven’t already guessed, that’s the position I am in at this very point in time.

I have some super exciting things coming up within the next year. I’m turning 20, I’m going on a bunch of little trips and to top it all off, I’m deferring uni for a semester and travelling solo to the UK and Europe next year. I am thrilled, but at the same time, a little worried- but what’s new, really?

In the middle of all these exciting events, I had a decision to make. Do I want to finish university next year or in 2018? My heart is telling me next year, and then I’d like to travel even more; but for this dream to become a reality, I’m going to have to undergo stress like you’ve never seen before.

You see, in order to graduate at the end of 2017, I will need to pass every unit, but I will also need to do one semester with five units or I’ll need to do a summer semester. Annnnd guess what? No way in the world do I want to do a summer semester; summer is a time for Christmas decorations, lots of Chrissy food, New Years Celebrations, pool-time, small road trips and many more soul developing good-times. So, I have no other choice but to do five units in Semester 2, 2016.

… I’ll be right back; I’m just going to drown myself in my pool.

Just kidding, but it’s going to be tough, no lie.

So semester two of 2016 consists of four marketing units and one management unit (I did pretty good at class registrations and have three half days at uni a week), 30-35 hours a week of working (because I’ll need as much cash as possible for #RacsSoloEuroTrip 2017) and trying to have a social life with friends and family in between. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be okay. I’ve always been really good with time management and I like to be challenged. I always see the light at the end of the tunnel, and take a guess as to what this is?

#RacsSoloEuroTrip – did you guess right?

If anyone who has studied five units in one semester before has any tips or suggestions for me, feel free to comment below, I’d love to hear from you.

I’m out amigos, goodbye!

Carole

Hi Raquel,
    50 to 60hours of study per week (5 units x 10 to 12 hours per unit) plus 30-35 hours of work is certainly ambitious. The Library has some great resources to help you plan ahead and manage your time: http://studywell.library.qut.edu.au/study_management.html.

And if something unexpected comes up or you need to reassess keep in mind the cut-off dates to withdraw.
    The last date to withdraw units without incurring financial penalty is 19 August 2016.
    The last date you can withdraw units without incurring an academic penalty is 23 September 2016.
    Cheers,

Carole Quinn Manager, Student Success Program.

Racquel

Hi Carole,

It’s definitely a struggle, but i’m getting there slowly but surely. I don’t quit things quite easily, so i’m enduring it!

Thanks for the tips!

Racquel
      QUT Student Blogger