Five things I’ve inherited (or hope to inherit) from my mum

FullSizeRender(4)

People tell me that I’m a lot like my mum, and that is literally the greatest compliment ever. While it is true that I have inherited some similar traits, I can only hope that one day I will be as great as she is. Here are some things I have inherited from her, and some qualities of hers that I strive to achieve.

1. Frizzy Hair

We know all about the struggle. My mum and I have gallivanted around all of Brisbane to try and find hairdressers who can tame our unruly curls. It’s hard having hair that doesn’t want to cooperate 99% of the time, but it’s nice knowing that this burden has resulted in me spending quality time in salon chairs right next to my favourite lady.

1. Work ethic

My mum is the most selfless person I know, and she works extremely hard to make sure my siblings and I are safe and happy. Whenever I think something might be too hard, or if I ever doubt my abilities, I just think of my mum and how she can literally do anything she sets her mind to, and I do my best to emulate her.

1. Ambition

Raising three kids while studying is a hard thing to do. My mum powered through her exams without missing a beat of taking care of us. The gross pictures in her medical school books might have put me off wanting to follow her in that profession, but her dedication to her goals taught me a valuable lesson of always keeping your eye on the prize.

1. A natural desire to help others

Not only has my mum helped and encouraged me to get through uni, she seems to have this need to help everyone she comes across. She puts everyone before herself. I haven’t reached her level of selflessness yet, but I try my hardest to make sure she’s put first sometimes too.

1. Being the greatest person in the world

Okay, so I can never live up to this title. She’s got that one all to herself. But she is one great role model. I’ve learnt my best traits from her. I can only hope that maybe one day I’ll be half as amazing as she is.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mum!