New Uni, New You – Starting In Semester 2

Are you starting uni at QUT in semester 2? Is this your first foray into tertiary education?

GREAT!!! Welcome aboard, friends! Your time at QUT is going to be wonderful/challenging/fabulous/stressful/rewarding/confusing/worthwhile!

Going to uni for the first time might make you a little nervous, but don’t worry, because your friendly neighbourhood student blogger is here to encourage you as you prepare to enter the real world – QUT. Couldn’t resist making that joke. Sorry.

Starting in semester 2 has its advantages: the lines at various O-week stalls should be shorter than Semester 1 averages, so enjoy your freebies and nab yourself some delectable foodstuffs in record time. Also, ongoing students tend to avoid campus for as long as possible (‘prolonging the holidays’), meaning that you have ample opportunity to take a stroll and familiarise yourself with your new surroundings.

You might be feeling a little nervous. That’s understandable. I think back to my first days on campus and I remember feeling like I was six years old and I’d just lost my mum in somewhere in the deep, dark realm of Kmart’s shoe section. That feeling subsided, though, when I realised that there were three people standing next to me with equally confused looks on their faces.

Jackpot.

You’re not alone, friend. We’ve all been there. You’re not a proper uni student until you accidentally walk into the wrong tutorial, or you go for a walk to get coffee only to realise you don’t know where the coffee cart is. It takes some getting used to, but it’s okay.

The only good piece of advice I can offer is this: take your time. Rushing into uni life will only make things more stressful. Take the time to enjoy it and pave your own way.

And if you find that your degree isn’t a right fit for you – that’s more than okay, too. I started off in a different course. There’s nothing wrong with figuring out what’s best for you.

Welcome to university!

The most important place in KG...

The most important place in KG…

And if it all seems like too much, and you feel like you’re on the verge of tears, head to the lolly shop. Cheap lollies on campus make everything better.

Have any questions or awkward first-year blunders to share? Comment below!