Let The Games Begin

It’s that time of the year again. The time, I’m sure, that many students have been dreading. If you don’t know what this is, you soon will. When our future rests on good quality internet and, admittedly, on the hope that everybody else has forgotten what’s yet to come. Soon we will all be sitting in front of our computer screens, chewing our fingernails nervously, while we’re faced with the horror of the below screen for what will be the final time for many of us:

Blog Post

That’s right. Class registration has crept upon us all again. From June 1st onwards, students will battle it out to get into the classes they want. In the end there will be cheers and there will, of course, be tears.

Who will be the lucky victors, who manage to get the perfect timetables, long weekends and all? And who shall be the unlucky people who have to come to class early every morning?

While I do have some advice to give, I should warn that if you do choose to follow it, it’s not a 100% guarantee you’ll get into every class you want. But I’ve learned that it’s at least worth the try, so here goes:

• Get familiar with twenty-four hour time if you aren’t already, because when you go to register, that’s what you’ll be seeing. I remember the first time I ever had to register into classes, I kind of just assumed that it would all be in twelve hour time. It wasn’t. And twenty-four hour time wasn’t my friend at all back then. Let’s just say, I spent too long trying to do the maths, and my first timetable wasn’t exactly pleasant. You’ll probably use it elsewhere in life too!
  • If there’s one tutorial that you really have your heart set on getting into above all else, register into that one first, if it’s not already full.
  • At the end of the day, if you don’t get into the tutorials that you want, keep in mind that you can go back to the class registration page until July 31st, so keep on checking back periodically until then. With any luck, someone might switch from one class to another, and you’ll end up with your preferred class time.
  • And, finally, spend some time carefully planning out your desired timetable and double (or if you’re like me, quadruple) check that everything is right. There’s nothing worse than figuring out at the last minute that some of your classes clash, and you have to re-plan all of your classes again while everyone else is trying to register.

That’s all the advice that I have to give for the time being, but if there’s any other class registration tips and tricks that you have, please do share them in the comments. And if you want to find out more, QUT has all the details right here, just a mouse-click way. With all of that said, may the odds be ever in your favour.