Advice from a graduate

Well, here I am, I’ve finally graduated from a Bachelor of Business majoring in Public Relations (with a Marketing 2nd major). What a journey these past 4 years have been!  I managed to complete my personal goal of graduating with a GPA of 6 which felt so good to accomplish! I feel like I’ve really grown personally and professionally throughout my time here at QUT and I think I’m ready to take on the real world (even though I don’t have a job yet, but that will happen next year when I come back from a well-deserved holiday to Europe).

This will be my last ever blog *sniffle*, so I thought I’d give you some advice that I wish I had when I first started uni.

I’m so excited to become a real adult with a real job!

1. Make the most of your time here

There are so many wonderful things to get involved with at QUT that are both fun and great for your resume.  Whether it’s joining or making a club, a faculty student society, becoming a student ambassador or connect volunteer, going on exchange or getting involved in case competitions or projects, the opportunities are endless for expanding your personal and professional skills at QUT. You just have to be proactive and find them! The first place to start is going to the Student Zones, choosing your faculty and having a look at all the extra-curricular activities they offer. Or pop into your faculty’s Student Enquiries desk.

With so many things to do, you’ll need to upgrade your desk to MEGA DESK!

1. Do work experience/internships

This is essential, no matter what degree you do.  I completed 3 internships (2 of my own volition and 1 as part of AMB310) while I was studying and I was able to see how Public Relations works in organisations, practice my skills and gain industry contacts.

Some courses may have work experience as a mandatory condition of graduating (like Engineering or Nursing), others offer it as an elective subject (like Business). Whatever you do, GET WORK EXPERIENCE! Doing it will either: 1. make you feel more confident about the industry you’re going into and give you a fantastic insight into what it’s like to work or 2. make you realise you don’t like the job and you might need to rethink what you’re studying.

Both of these outcomes are good because you don’t want to graduate, get a job and realise you really don’t like the career you’ve chosen because you didn’t experience it while studying. Plus having experience on your resume will make you more employable when you graduate.

You might feel like this during the first few days at an internship (I certainly did), but you’ll soon get the hang of everything!

1. Seek help if you’re feeling unsure

I think all of us throughout our lives will feel unsure at some stage. Do any of us really know what we truly want to achieve in this world? It may take you months, years or even decades to figure it out, and that’s ok.  If you need to change courses 3 times, that’s ok.  People end up changing careers 2-3 times throughout their lives, and that’s ok too.  The main thing is, if you feel unsure about anything at all, talk to someone like the friendly QUT Counselling Service or QUT Careers and Employment about it so that you can get the advice you need. Also, I find the blog Hyperbole and a Half is great at cheering me up when I’m down or when I need to read about someone who has had the same motivation issues I’ve had.

Running away from your problems won’t do you any good.

4. Go to your classes and keep your notes and textbooks

Since you’re paying to attend uni, you may as well attend the classes! Sometimes you might feel lazy and skip, and to be honest I did this, but try not to make a habit of it, because you won’t get this time at uni back!  I’ve also tried to keep all of my notes and most textbooks from my major units, since I might need to refer back to them in the future. You never know when you’ll need to flick back and remember an important fact!

Well, that’s it from me. Good luck to you all in the future and thanks for reading my rambles!

Bye QUT!

Bye QUT!

Leanne

Congratulations Mel. You’ve been a terrific blogger and ambassador – thank you for all of your hard work. I’ve really enjoyed reading about your life as a student, and I wish you the very best in your next adventures.

Catherine Garino

Great tips Mel! Congratulations on graduating and have a fabulous time in Europe. I am a member of the friendly team here at QUT Careers and Employment and would like to confirm that we offer free career appointments for QUT students – we’re very happy to assist students who are unsure if they are in the right course (which is very common!), as well as empower students with career direction and strategies 🙂

mafi hiko

totally cool.
    congratulate on ur archivement…