Part II: The Final Weeks

Now that we’ve managed to get through last week, we’re one step closer to the holidays. I’m not going to lie, I may or may not have panicked a bit (a lot) when I realised that my exams are creeping closer and closer. It’s getting kind of hard to stay calm and enjoy the rest of semester with all of this stressing. Luckily, I’ve come up with a few tips on how to make the most out of the remainder of this semester before we can finally kick back, relax, and enjoy upcoming holidays.

This will be all of us QUTies in a few weeks.

1. Find a good place to study. Some people study well at home but for those who, like me, have trouble keeping off Tumblr and Facebook when you should be getting work done, it might not be such a bad idea to take a trip to campus and study there. I find that when I’m on one of the computers at university, I don’t even try to type “Facebook” into the browsers, probably because people who would need the computers more than I do would be able to see me procrastinating, so it’s a good way of getting work done without the temptation of social media.
  2. Start planning your holidays. When you’re not busy studying, take a moment to start planning things to do in your holidays if you haven’t already. You deserve to have some time to think about something aside from the assignments and exams you have coming up. If you have any suggestions about what people can get up to during the semester break, feel free to leave them in the comments.
  3. Have some study sessions with friends. With exam block just around the corner, it might be worth meeting up with your friends for some study sessions. Studying alone definitely has its benefits, but studying in groups does, too. You’ll be able to help teach one another anything that you might have missed, and if you have a well-focused group, chances are that it’s going to end up great for your results. If you’ve never been part of a study group before, it’s never too late to start one.
  4. Limit stress as much as you can. Obviously, the final few weeks can be stressful, and sometimes there’s no way of avoiding it. What you can do, however, is limit the stress. The more you procrastinate, the more stressed you’ll be. Split up your day in whatever way works best for you, so that you have time to study and some down time, too. Be kind to yourself and don’t leave anything to the last minute. You deserve the best marks with as little stress as possible. And if you do feel a bit overwhelmed, sit down for a minute and try breathing deeply through your diaphragm. Believe me, diaphragm breathing really does help to limit stress.

These are just a few things to help get you through the final weeks of uni. And as a bonus, I would recommend leaving activities such as watching television to the end of the day. Yes, I know that watching re-runs of Modern Family instead of studying is tempting, but Phil Dunphy can’t help you get good marks on your exam (or can he?). I’ll see you all later for the third and final part of The Final Weeks.