Welcome back fellow brethren in academia/congratulations on accepting your offer to QUT. I hope you all made the most of your holidays, I know I did! Apart from getting my tonsils taken out, that was the definition of not fun at all. This was me in the hospital.
Getting an optimal timetable is one of the most important things you have to do. It determines whether you can have a sleep-in or whether you have to be packed onto a train with a million other office workers in order to make your 8am tute. Note to self: NEVER ENROL INTO AN 8AM TUTE EVER AGAIN. This is a little list of helpful hints that I wish I could have figured out earlier in my first year of uni.
1. Check your Course Structure and Course Checklist. These resources will provide you with a guide on what to enrol into in which semester. Remember, these are just a guide, so you can really enrol into any subject you want. BUT it is the suggested and recommended structure, so in your first year or first semester at least, I’d strongly recommend following it.
2. Enrol into your units. This step is pretty simple. Go to your Study Plan which is found in the Study tab of QUT Virtual.
3. Make a draft of your timetable. You can do this by going into QUT Virtual, then clicking the Study tab, then ‘preview class options for my enrolled units’. This page will show you a list of proposed times for lectures and tutes in the units you’ve enrolled in. BE WARNED! All options may not be available on the day of class registration, so have back-up options in case you can’t pick your #1 option. Remember to plan around any work or other commitments you may have.
4. Check what date and time class registration opens. Class registrations open at a different time and date depending on what degree you’re doing. Double degrees are lucky as their class registration is generally a day or two before single degree counterparts. Make a note of the time in your phone or diary so you remember!
5. Register into your classes. I generally start checking the registration page 15 minutes before it’s due to open, as it sometimes opens a few minutes before its official time. Note: all times on the registration page are in 24 hour time. Don’t be like me and have a brain malfunction on the day and start freaking out “WHAT THE HECK IS 17 O’CLOCK?!”.
I wish you luck during the madness that is class registration. May the forces of fast internet and quick clicking be with you.