10 Weeks In

“Wait until you get to university.”
“They won’t be as lenient in university.”
“If you can’t handle this, I don’t know how you’ll make it through university.”
“YOU’RE PROBABLY GOING TO FAIL UNIVERSITY!”

Okay… so no one actually said that last one to me but someone might as well have! For some crazy reason, towards the end of my final year in high school; through the tears, meltdowns, and full-blown panic attacks, people found it appropriate to encourage me by telling me how high school was easy-street compared to university.

Because of this, my very vague, but happy, idea of what university entailed was ruined before it had even started.

So, for anyone wondering what university might be like, I’ve made a timeline of my semester so far! Why I am not enrolled in a Visual Arts course, I do not know.

In all honesty, I don’t think university is as difficult as my teachers and family made it out to be. The workload is insane but the difference between high school and university is that you actually choose to be here. If something is important to you, you’ll find a way to do it; if it’s not, you’ll just find excuses not to.

You can never completely base your perception of university on other people’s experiences or what other people tell you. University isn’t for everyone!  If you’re loving what you’re studying, determined to do well, getting out and making friends, and embracing university life all together, university could be the best few years of your life. But, hey, what do I know? I’m only a first year!

– Nes

Sami Reddy

Well, that just about sums up my whole time at uni. Made me laugh too.

Elias Dervish

Ice Nice one Nesssssssssss 🙂

Beth

Ha! I’m in my 4th year and it’s the exact same thing every year. I don’t know anyone who’s managed to have the perfect uni semester. Right now I’m procrastinating one of my journalism subjects. Ugh, such is uni life.

Neslea

Haha, nooo don’t say that! I’m convincing myself that I’ll be better next semester (….aha). I’m procrastinating a journalism assignment right now as well! Writing news articles for journalism – who does that?!

Benjamin

OMG IM YOUR BIGGEST FAN AND I LOVE YOUR BLOG <3 !!!!

Nicole

Haha I have the same attitude towards studying. P.S. Nice drawings 😛

Tasman

Just made my day…and I saw Avengers not 10 minutes ago. well done neslea, well done.

Neslea

I STILL HAVEN’T SEEN IT! Need to re-watch all the other movies but uni leaves me no time 🙁 Thanks, Tasman!

Amy

nice work nes!

Neslea

Thanks, Amy!!

Huynh

cryin’ this is so true.

Humorous and entertaining!

Neslea

Haha! Thanks, Huynh 😀

Robert

You have summed up my 1st semester, this was actually the first thing besides Facebook & assignments that I’ve read today & by far the funniest thing

Neslea

Assignments? You have just made me realise that I have done absolutely nothing productive today! Haha thank you, Robert!

Robert

Haha, I’ve been very lucky to only have 1 assignment so far 🙂

Jess

#1 fan, can I have your autograph?

Sam

If you want a “cardboard folder” you can get second hand ones free from assignment minder! Hope uni is being nice to you now 🙂

Neslea

I was waiting for someone to point this out! That’s actually how I got my folder the first time. I thought it was a one-off though and that they were just being nice to me because I looked so short and confused. Haha, uni definitely is now that week 10 is over! Thanks, Sam! 🙂

Jade

This post made my day! Love it.

Monique

Nice blog Neslea – we can all relate!

Marzan

OMG this is sooo true! I am hoping I will be a good girl next Semester and not leave everything till the night before they are due…..and those drawings are too cute!!! 🙂

Ana

Oo i love your story, and i think this is a good ”mirror” of the real situation. I wish to go on this University, but I am from Europe so it will be a big fight to follow my dreams. I know this might be off the topic, but do you know is there any student,or maybe even you, that would have enough patient to answer few of my questions.
    Again, great article, it really helped me , as a future student(hope so) to see the realistic side of students life. 🙂

Neslea

Hi Ana! I’m sorry for such a late reply, I didn’t see this comment! You live in Europe? I’m very jealous. I’m happy to answer any of your questions as best as I can 🙂 I hope your dream of attending QUT is fulfilled – and if you ever need a tour guide, I’d love to show you around! All the best.

Aqeel

Neslea,
    hi how u doing. infact i m a new member of this blog. i want some info about uni repu. as i have got addmission in MS IT. thinking to enroll in this uni. should i ?? or not???what do u suggest as a student of QUT?

Neslea

Hi Aqeel,
    I’m great, thanks! Welcome to the blog. I have really enjoyed my time at QUT so far and personally think it has a great learning environment. Even though I’m only in my first year of studying accountancy and journalism, I can honestly see the importance, relevance and high standard of all the subjects I am required to study, and how they equip with me with the tools I need to be successful in my future career.

However, since I’m from the Business/Creative Industries faculty of the university, I’m not familiar with the IT program at QUT. I suggest it would be best if you contact QUT directly (http://www.qut.edu.au/international/enquire) so you can talk to someone who has expert knowledge on the MS IT program. Good luck!! 🙂